Cubs Draw Blanks at Indian School Park
Six pitchers combined to throw a five-hit shutout with ten strikeouts, as the Giants blanked the Cubs 4-0 in AZ Instructional League action at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this afternoon.
Lanky 6’5 20-year old RHP David Henrie (2011 NDFA – Trinidad State JC) made his pro debut for the Cubs today, getting the start and throwing one inning. He allowed one run on a walk and two singles, and struck out one (the first man he faced, on three pitches). The Cubs signed Henrie last month after watching him pitch for the Arvada Colts in the Rocky Mountain Baseball League (a collegiate summer "wood bat" league) and a subsequent work-out for Cubs scouts at Fitch Park on August 15th.
Also making his pro debut today for the Cubs was 16-year old Venezuelan switch-hitting catcher Mark Malave. One of the top-rated 16-year old International players available at the start of the International Signing Period, Malave received a reported $1.6M bonus (equivalent to “1st round money”) this past July. He is a big dude (6'3), a typical catcher, bottom-heavy and barrel-chested. He was a DH today, and went 0-3 with two strikeouts (both swinging) and a 1-3 tap-out. He looked over-matched at the plate, but you have to remember he is the same age as a HS junior in the U. S. (he won’t turn 17 until next year).
21-year old RHRP Tony Zych (Cubs 2011 4th round draft pick out of the U. of Louisville) pitched the 6th inning. He came out firing high-velocity gas and a sharp-breaking slider, and had an easy eight-pitch 1-2-3 inning with lots of swings & misses and two strikeouts. I wouldn't be surprised if Zych ends up on the same track in 2012 as Kevin Rhoderick and Aaron Kurcz this past season, starting the year at Daytona.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, LF: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, P-1, PO)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, 1B)
3. Rafael Lopez, DH #1: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 4-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
5a. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-2 (K, L-4)
5b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (K)
6a. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-1 (1B, HBP, CS)
6b. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-1 (1B)
7. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 0-2 (F-7, 2-3 SH, L-5)
8. Mark Malave, DH #2: 0-3 (K, 1-3, K)
9. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, K, F-9)
10. Neftali Rosario, DH-C: 0-2 (K, F-7)
11. Justin Marra, C-DH: 1-2 (K, 1B)
1. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
2. Charles Thomas: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 36 pitches (23 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 BALK, 36 pitches (23 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 8 pitches (7 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Jose Rosario: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
1. 2B Carlos Penalver - E4 (errant throw at 1st base on single allowed batter-runner to advance to 2nd base)
2. RF Reggie Golden - E9 (dropped line drive allowing batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Javier Baez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.
If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...