McNutt Versus Bradley - Instructs Version of Mothra Versus Godzilla
In his first start since throwing three perfect innings with eight strikeouts against the Cubs at Fitch Park on Monday, RHP Archie Bradley (7th overall pick in 1st round of 2011 draft) threw three innings of no run/no hit ball, as the Diamondbacks defeated the Cubs 3-1 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Whirlwind Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale.
Bradley wasn’t as sharp as last time, walking two and hitting a batter while throwing barely 50% strikes (46 pitches – 24 strikes), and recording just two strikeouts. But the Cubs once again could do nothing with the 19-year old from Broken Arrow, OK.
Cubs top pitching prospect RHP Trey McNutt got the start for the Cubs, as he prepares for the start of the Arizona Fall League (AFL) next Tuesday where he will be a rotation starter for the Mesa Solar Sox. (Each MLB club designates one pitcher assigned to its AFL affiliate as a "starting pitcher," and the other three pitchers sent to the AFL work out of the AFL team's bullpen).
McNutt threw two innings, and he really struggled to get through a 26-pitch 1st inning, allowing two runs on two hits and a walk. But he retired the last five men he faced, pumping 12 consecutive strikes in the process, and he induced mostly ground balls (five ground outs and a ground ball RBI single) throughout the two innings. In fact the only ball hit into the air was a broken bat opposite-field bloop single by the Diamondbacks lead-off hitter in the bottom of the 1st.
21-year old RHP Scott Weismann (Cubs 2011 46th round draft pick out of Clemson) has been added to the Cubs Instructs roster, and he made his pro debut in today’s game, throwing a perfect nine-pitch 1-2-3 inning (K-swinging, P-2, F-8). Weismann was in the CWS Clemson Tiger starting rotation with LHP Casey Harman (Cubs 2010 29th round pick) in 2010, but was moved to the bullpen this past season where he excelled as the team’s closer.
The defensive gem of the day was turned-in by Cubs 2011 #1 draft pick SS Javier Baez, who made a run-saving diving stop behind 2nd base with two outs and runners at 1st and 2nd in the bottom of the 6th, got back up on his feet, and gunned-down (easily) the D’backs runner trying to sneak home, with a laser throw to catcher Yaniel Cabezas.
Baez also scored the only Cub run of the day, lining a double into left-center to lead-off the top of the 6th, and eventually scoring on a Dan Vogelbach one-out 6-3 GO.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 0-4 (3-U, 3-6 FC, K, P-2)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (6-3, P-3, 2B, K, R)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-4 (K, 3-U, F-8, 4-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, P-4, 6-3, RBI)
5. Taiwan Easterling, LF: 1-2 (HBP, 2B, P-5, CS)
6. Micah Gibbs, DH #1: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-7)
7. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-3 (F-8, 5-4 FC, K)
8. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (K, E-5, 4-3, SB)
9a. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (BB, L-5)
9b. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 0-1 (L-6)
10a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-3 (E-5, 3-U, 1B, CS)
10b. Garrett Schlecht, RF: NO AB
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Danny Lockhart, DH #3: 0-1 (6-3)
1. Trey McNutt: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 34 pitches (24 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
2. Scott Weismann: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (6 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Alexander Santana: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Tayler Scott: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Michael Jensen: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 19 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
6. Kyler Burke: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 15 pitches (6 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
7. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 22 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (throwing error allowed batter-runner to take 2nd base)
2. 2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score)
LF Taiwan Easterling - runner thrown out 7-6-2 trying to score from 1st base on a double into LF corner
ATTENDANCE: 20 (mostly scouts, plus cubs.com beat writer Carrie Muskat)
WEATHER: Sunny, hot (100+), and VERY breezy
Cards and Pirates lose. I'm OK with that.
I'm ready for the end of the Miggy era.
he juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust got there...1st appearance, injury...yow
b.matusz it is.
Oops. Colin Rea leaves the game with injury.
Marlins with a quick 4 spot vs Jaime Garcia. Osuna HR the highlight.
Brian Matusz, supposedly he has attachments. Hope it's not like an email with a virus attached.
"Diamondbacks designated RHP Josh Collmenter for assignment."
aww...he was my 2nd favorite crapballer. his control issues are rather severe at the moment.
Hopefully, that is all out of their system now -- let's get a W tomorrow.
Clearly the Cubs need to clear out the farm and trade for another closer
Where's Ed Lynch when you need him?