Cub Bats Mostly Silent at Talking Stick
Micah Gibbs tripled and singled, scored a run, and drove-in another, but the Rockies scored five unanswered runs to overcome an early 2-1 deficit and defeated the Cubs 6-2 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Zeke DeVoss, CF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
1b. Jeffrey Baez, PH: 0-0 (BB)
2a. Danny Lockhart, SS: 1-3 (1B, E-5, 5-3, CS)
2b. Mark Malave, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
3. Rafael Lopez, DH-C: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, L-6)
4. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, F-7)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, K, K)
6. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 0-2 (HBP, 6-3, 6-3, R)
7. Micah Gibbs, DH #2: 2-3 (3B, 4-3, 1B, R, RBI)
8a. Justin Marra, C: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, RBI, SB)
8b. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-0 (BB)
9. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF-DH: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, 4-6 FC, CS)
10. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (FC, F-7, 5-3, CS)
1. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 24 pitches (12 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Christopher Pieters: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 29 pitches (13 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Alexander Santana: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 32 pitches (17 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Tayler Scott: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (18 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Michael Jensen: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
6. Tarlandus Mitchell: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (15 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
C Rafael Lopez - E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on SB allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
1. Justin Marra: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
2. Rafael Lopez: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 70’s
From Keith Law:
This from a Kiley McDaniel chat a couple weeks ago...
"Comment From Wrenzie
Who has more ceiling between Yusniel Diaz or Eddy Julio Martinez?
Kiley McDaniel: Martinez. I have Eddy (20 years old) as a 65 runner with a 55 arm and 50 raw power that profiles as an everyday CF that could be above average depending on if the bat is a 45 or a 55. I have Yusniel (19) as a 60 runner with a 55 arm and 40 raw power that can be an everyday guy if he hits enough (50 or 55)."
"Per Jesse Sanchez at mlb.com, Cubs reportedly have signed 20-year old Cuban OF Eddy Julio Martinez for $3M bonus.
Arizona Phil 7 hours 23 min ago"
it's day old news, and it's got nothing to do with the cubs, but ichiro signed a $2m deal with MIA (with a $2m option for 2017).
neat. 41 years old and damn close to 3000 hits.
also, rain delays suck.
take that giants
I think that if a team objects to the 1-game wildcard playin game so much, they could just win the pennant and avoid themselves the trouble.
Per Jesse Sanchez at mlb.com, Cubs reportedly have signed 20-year old Cuban OF Eddy Julio Martinez for $3M bonus.
BLOCK: Of course any advantage is an advantage. An MLB, NBA, or NHL team getting the extra game at home in a seven game series is an advantage, I just don't think it is enough of an advantage for winning a division and/or having the best record in a conference or league over the course of an 82-game season (NBA and NHL) or 162 game series (MLB).
TEX takes the opening game from TOR (@TOR) 5-3.
TOR lost bautista + donaldson in-game due to injuries...TEX lost beltre...dunno if any will be lingering issues leading to missed games.
Ride the Kid Magic! Schwarber hadn't homered in a long time before last night.
Greg Maddux was 8-18 in his rookie season. Kyle has the 8 wins down pat.
Think Baby Maddux.
Prof. Harold Hill's THINK system at work.
Kyle is on the far left.
I support this. Hendricks has not only looked better lately but seems to start struggling after a few innings which is better than the 1st in the playoffs.
Just tweeted via Jesse Rogers: Hendricks starting Game 2. Wow. Just wow.
That was good!
Well said. On one hand, I thought the HBP was a bad baseball play -- down 4 runs, put a runner on for a red-hot Fowler. On the other hand, they needed to do something -- I hadn't thought about the warning/pitching inside point. Is Hurdle that smart? He does not strike me that way. By the way -- not clear which fan base you are referring to in your "first" 3rd point.
My unsolicited opinions on topics covered in this thread:
1. I hate the fact that after 162 games, a team could be out after 1 game. However, I think the system is pretty close to perfect right now. 2 of 3 isn't feasible unless they shorten the regular season, and it ices the division winners for way too long. This creates excitement, and rewards the division winners.