Geiger Blast Can't Counter Pitchers Wild Ride through Fitch Park
Reggie Golden and Jeimer Candelario ripped back-to-back doubles to score one run and Dustin Geiger clubbed a three-run HR onto 8th Street to plate three more, but the Diamondbacks took advantage of eight walks, a HBP, six wild pitches, and two errors to defeat the Cubs 7-4 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
LHP (ex-OF) Matt Spencer had an Outing from Hell in what was his second Instructs game appearance since being converted to a pitcher, allowing two runs on four walks and four wild pitches in just 2/3 of an inning (26 pitches - only eight strikes) in the top of the 5th as the Diamondbacks took a 4-1 lead.
After Dustin Geiger slugged his three-run bomb to tie the score in the bottom of the 5th, RHP Amaury Paulino gave it all right back in the top of the 6th, allowing three runs on two walks, a HBP, a double, and a WP.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, 2B: 0-4 (K, 4-3, 6-4 FC, 5-4-3 DP, CS)
2. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, F-7, BB, CS)
3. Rubi Silva, RF: 0-4 (K, 5-3, 1-3, L-6)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (3-1, F-8, 3-1, BB)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-3 (2B, BB, L-7, F-8, 2 R)
6. Jeimer Candelario, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, BB, E-4, 2 R, RBI)
7. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (6-5 FC, HR, 4-6-3 DP, 1 R, 3 RBI)
8. Micah Gibbs, DH-C: 1-3 (K, E-6, 1B)
9. Mark Malave, C-DH: 1-2 (4-3, BB, 1B)
10. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
1. Jose Arias: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 0/5 GO/FO
3. Matt Spencer: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 4 WP, 26 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Amaury Paulino: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 25 pitches (13 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Scott Weismann: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (18 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
6. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (6 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
7. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Zeke DeVoss - E-4 (errant throw attempting to turn inning-ending 6-4-3 DP allowed batter-runner to advance to 2nd base)
1. Mark Malave: 0-1 CS
2. Micah Gibbs: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Overcast, breezy, and occasional drizzle, with temperatures in the 70’s
SF loses their 7th in a row (ow).
WAS is now #1 on the heels of the cubs at 7.5 games back.
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.