Cub Bats Mostly Silent at Talking Stick
Micah Gibbs tripled and singled, scored a run, and drove-in another, but the Rockies scored five unanswered runs to overcome an early 2-1 deficit and defeated the Cubs 6-2 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1a. Zeke DeVoss, CF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
1b. Jeffrey Baez, PH: 0-0 (BB)
2a. Danny Lockhart, SS: 1-3 (1B, E-5, 5-3, CS)
2b. Mark Malave, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
3. Rafael Lopez, DH-C: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, L-6)
4. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, F-7)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, K, K)
6. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 0-2 (HBP, 6-3, 6-3, R)
7. Micah Gibbs, DH #2: 2-3 (3B, 4-3, 1B, R, RBI)
8a. Justin Marra, C: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, RBI, SB)
8b. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-0 (BB)
9. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF-DH: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, 4-6 FC, CS)
10. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (FC, F-7, 5-3, CS)
1. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 24 pitches (12 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Christopher Pieters: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 29 pitches (13 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Alexander Santana: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 32 pitches (17 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Tayler Scott: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (18 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Michael Jensen: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
6. Tarlandus Mitchell: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (15 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
C Rafael Lopez - E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on SB allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
1. Justin Marra: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
2. Rafael Lopez: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 70’s
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.