Geiger Blast Can't Counter Pitchers Wild Ride through Fitch Park
Reggie Golden and Jeimer Candelario ripped back-to-back doubles to score one run and Dustin Geiger clubbed a three-run HR onto 8th Street to plate three more, but the Diamondbacks took advantage of eight walks, a HBP, six wild pitches, and two errors to defeat the Cubs 7-4 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
LHP (ex-OF) Matt Spencer had an Outing from Hell in what was his second Instructs game appearance since being converted to a pitcher, allowing two runs on four walks and four wild pitches in just 2/3 of an inning (26 pitches - only eight strikes) in the top of the 5th as the Diamondbacks took a 4-1 lead.
After Dustin Geiger slugged his three-run bomb to tie the score in the bottom of the 5th, RHP Amaury Paulino gave it all right back in the top of the 6th, allowing three runs on two walks, a HBP, a double, and a WP.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, 2B: 0-4 (K, 4-3, 6-4 FC, 5-4-3 DP, CS)
2. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, F-7, BB, CS)
3. Rubi Silva, RF: 0-4 (K, 5-3, 1-3, L-6)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (3-1, F-8, 3-1, BB)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-3 (2B, BB, L-7, F-8, 2 R)
6. Jeimer Candelario, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, BB, E-4, 2 R, RBI)
7. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (6-5 FC, HR, 4-6-3 DP, 1 R, 3 RBI)
8. Micah Gibbs, DH-C: 1-3 (K, E-6, 1B)
9. Mark Malave, C-DH: 1-2 (4-3, BB, 1B)
10. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
1. Jose Arias: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 0/5 GO/FO
3. Matt Spencer: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 4 WP, 26 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Amaury Paulino: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 25 pitches (13 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Scott Weismann: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (18 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
6. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (6 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
7. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Zeke DeVoss - E-4 (errant throw attempting to turn inning-ending 6-4-3 DP allowed batter-runner to advance to 2nd base)
1. Mark Malave: 0-1 CS
2. Micah Gibbs: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Overcast, breezy, and occasional drizzle, with temperatures in the 70’s
David Ross - the mound awaits you.
RIP jason hammel's awesome ERA.
10 ER in 4ip...almost a full point tacked on tonight, alone. 5HR given up tonight. oogly.
Nimmo certainly does not want to see the Cubs leave town. His first MLB rbi last night and now his first HR.
At least Hammel is eating some innings ... this is the kind of game Peralta should be used if at all.
OK, the hell with it.
It's July 1 -- Hammel starting to suck right on schedule.
Other than sweeping the Reds -- a bad team actively trying to lose -- this will make 8 losses in 9 games to good teams (Cards, Marlins, Mets). Not good at all.
Belicheat a consultant for the Red Sox?
And, so, Jason Hammel decides to test my new resolution right away. Sheesh.
No Wright, no Duda, no Granderson -- no problem for NY. Ugh.
game restarting...degrom on the mound, hammel taking his AB.
Indians extend their streak.
Darwin Barney gets tagged with the loss.
delayed until 7:20 -EST- (tarp off the field)...
CLE/TOR in the top 18th in case you're bored. 2nd baseman r.goins pitching for TOR...hit 90mph so far. 1ip 2h 1bb 0k, 0 r/er (bb was ibb). he threw a fastball/change mix. crowd loved it. d.ross is not impressed.
d.barney strands j.lake at 2nd in the bottom 18 for the
cubsbluejays...to the 19th!
-cubs game has begun-
BRADSBEARD: Javier Assad was still pitching into the 6th inning, and the first batter he faced reached base on an E-4 (that was Assad's 70th and final pitch of the game). Then Leathersich relieved Assad and retired the second batter 4-3 on the first pitch of the AB (the runner at 1st base advanced to 2nd on the play), and then on an 0-1 pitch the third batter in the inning (second one faced by Leathersich) lined into an inning-ending 6-4 DP (baserunner doubled off 2nd base). When calculating GO/AO, double plays and triple plays count as only one out.
Wow. The site actually loaded without an error! Happy 4th all, and Go Cubs!
OK -- my 4th of July resolution is to try to stay more positive. So -- 10 games to the AS break, meaning the Cubs will be in first place at the break! First time since...2008? Also, hopefully, Willson, KB and Javy learned something about Familia yesterday that they can use in the future.
Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?
Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.
"The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."