Geiger Blast Can't Counter Pitchers Wild Ride through Fitch Park
Reggie Golden and Jeimer Candelario ripped back-to-back doubles to score one run and Dustin Geiger clubbed a three-run HR onto 8th Street to plate three more, but the Diamondbacks took advantage of eight walks, a HBP, six wild pitches, and two errors to defeat the Cubs 7-4 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
LHP (ex-OF) Matt Spencer had an Outing from Hell in what was his second Instructs game appearance since being converted to a pitcher, allowing two runs on four walks and four wild pitches in just 2/3 of an inning (26 pitches - only eight strikes) in the top of the 5th as the Diamondbacks took a 4-1 lead.
After Dustin Geiger slugged his three-run bomb to tie the score in the bottom of the 5th, RHP Amaury Paulino gave it all right back in the top of the 6th, allowing three runs on two walks, a HBP, a double, and a WP.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, 2B: 0-4 (K, 4-3, 6-4 FC, 5-4-3 DP, CS)
2. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, F-7, BB, CS)
3. Rubi Silva, RF: 0-4 (K, 5-3, 1-3, L-6)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (3-1, F-8, 3-1, BB)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-3 (2B, BB, L-7, F-8, 2 R)
6. Jeimer Candelario, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, BB, E-4, 2 R, RBI)
7. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (6-5 FC, HR, 4-6-3 DP, 1 R, 3 RBI)
8. Micah Gibbs, DH-C: 1-3 (K, E-6, 1B)
9. Mark Malave, C-DH: 1-2 (4-3, BB, 1B)
10. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
1. Jose Arias: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 0/5 GO/FO
3. Matt Spencer: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 4 WP, 26 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Amaury Paulino: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 25 pitches (13 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Scott Weismann: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (18 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
6. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (6 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
7. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Zeke DeVoss - E-4 (errant throw attempting to turn inning-ending 6-4-3 DP allowed batter-runner to advance to 2nd base)
1. Mark Malave: 0-1 CS
2. Micah Gibbs: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Overcast, breezy, and occasional drizzle, with temperatures in the 70’s
Thanks guys! Pretty sure Bill Murray says thanks too.
Awesome job, Tim!
Outfielder Chris Young signs "multiyear" contract w BoSox.
Wow, Dombrowski is a buffoon
Not sure I understand the logic, especially for more than one year.
well, that's the past. we're left with the present. even though that past you're seeing is some weird black/white either/or where hybridization of ideas isn't allowed...nonetheless...
the present is ice skating, movies, concerts, beer gardens, hotels, office space and other wonderful baseball activities based around a young, successful baseball team.
All money making ventures, which would have been offset with a reasonable TV contract that previous ownership screwed up
Nah, I'll probably just contemplate how they should've done a Padres-style all-in plan.
of course not. maybe go ice skating and think about it a while. make advanced reservations at the hotel they're starting construction on. check new releases for possible entertainment from the movie screens they want installed. think about renting an office in the new office spaces. write a letter to the cubs requesting your favorite beer be added to the beer garden. lobby your favorite band to play the outdoor venue.
...and in between that maybe they can find $40-50m to invest in the product that all of this revolves around.
let's not get caught up on phrasing for a setup and lose the gist of the post. i don't care what one wants to call the playoff exit.
+they lost their playoff attempt
there. now we can focus on something other than not liking the tone of a line that's setting up a point.
I didn't like the entire post, if that helps.
Making the NLCS with a young team = "crapping out of the playoffs with a young team."
I'm guessing 3/30 and all the two foot long hot dogs you can eat didn't work
Yes! In a 12-way tie for first!