Cubs Clip Angel Wings at Fitch Park
Six pitchers combined to throw a two-hitter, and the Cubs scored once in the 6th to break a 1-1 tie and take the lead and two more insurance runs in the 7th to provide the final margin of victory, defeating the Angels 4-1 in AZ Instructional League action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
The Angels took a 1-0 lead in the top of the 1st inning against Cubs starter Charles Thomas, as Matt Long lined an RBI triple into the RF corner.
The Halos only other hit was a two-out single in the top of the 5th, as Cub relievers combined to retire 11 of the last 12 Angel hitters they faced.
The Cubs tied it up in the bottom of the 2nd on a Jeffrey Baez sacrifice fly, following a lead-off walk to Micah Gibbs and consecutive singles by Neftali Rosario and Justin Marra.
The game remained 1-1 going into the bottom of the 6th inning, when Rubi Silva led-off with a line-drive single over the 2nd baseman’s head, stole 2nd base, and then came around to score on a Rafael Lopez RBI single.
The Cubs scored their final two runs of the day in the bottom of the 7th, as Neftali Rosario reached base on an E-5 to open the inning, and after advancing to 3rd base on a stolen base plus an E-2 overthrow at 2nd base, scored when Trey Martin crushed a two-out RBI double over the centerfielder’s head. And then Carlos Penalver came through with another two-out RBI hit (a single to CF) to plate Martin from 2nd base with the game’s final run.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Rubi Silva, 2B: 1-3 (L-8, BB, 1B, F-7, R, SB, CS)
2. Zeke DeVoss, LF: 1-4 (1B, K, K, 4-3, CS)
3a. Rafael Lopez, C: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B, RBI)
3b. Garrett Schlecht, PR-DH: NO AB
3c. Dan Vogelbach, PH: 0-1 (4-3)
4a. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
4b. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-1 (K)
5. Micah Gibbs, 1B: 0-2 (BB, F-7, 4-3, R)
6. Neftali Rosario, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, K, E-5, R, SB)
7. Justin Marra, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, P-5, F-8, RBI)
8. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-2 (F-8 SF, P-3, K, RBI)
9. Trey Martin, CF: 1-3 (K, 5-3, 2B, R, RBI)
10. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B, RBI)
1. Charles Thomas: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 34 pitches (23 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
2. Austin Reed: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 12 pitches (6 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Luis Liria: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 41 pitches (22 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. Tarlandus Mitchell: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 12 pitches (6 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
5. Frank Del Valle: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 18 pitches (14 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
6. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
Rafael Lopez: 1-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 70’s
Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.