Theo to Cubs Ever so Close
This appears just about close to being finalized. Here's the latest and to open up a new set of comments.
- Epstein and family are apparently house hunting already in Chicago.
- Heyman tweets that there is a bit of discussion whether #cubs send cash or minor leaguers to #redsox for theo. so far boston prefers the $.
- Same article says ...an industry source said Tuesday that Cubs owner Tom Ricketts spoke with Epstein last week and that Epstein met with Cubs president Crane Kenney in Chicago last weekend (I presume to settle how much of Kenney's salary would be going to Epstein).
- Kaplan with a pretty thorough rundown of how the events transpired. I can't find it now, but I think it was Kaplan reporting that Epstein's very comfortable with Wilken and Fleita.
- Kevin Goldstein at BP and ESPN Insider (subscriptions required) goes over the state of the organization that Theo will inherit.
- George Ofman tweets: Word from sources close to situation: Ryne Sandberg not on Theo's short list to be manager at this time
Theo did try and hire Ryno to manage Pawtucket though last year, so even if he doesn't quite think he's big league ready, possibility as a major league coach could loom.
- Red Sox pull a page out of the Cubs playbook and start the smear campaign on Francona, Epstein and some of the players.
Some video of Epstein discussing player evaluation after the jump...
That's all for now folks...
Dusty already has blue and red wrist bands.
a day old, but fwiw...
Carrie Muskat @CarrieMuskat · Oct 4
Theo and Jed at Miller Park to talk to #Cubs Maddon and staff. Playoff roster to be finalized by Wednesday morning
I'm guessing the order is the other way around.
cc sab going into alcohol rehab, missing the post-season for the yanks.
no bud black? cold.
Break up the Cubs!
MLB.com throws out two names to manage the Nats: Dave Martinez and Wally Backman.
matt williams (WAS) fired...shocker. he lost control and confidence of that clubhouse way before papelbum got there.
having a roster chock full of egomaniacs and assholes doesn't help.
he won 'manager of the year' last year, fwiw.
If he were dealing with Chicago traffic, I would take my chances with the golf cart.
You can get to the MKE airport from Miller Park via all surface streets, no real reason to get on the expressway. Unless he is in a real hurry to get to Az.
CUBSTER: I would think a cab or a limo would get Motte to the airport faster than a golf cart. The maximum speed of a golf cart is (what?) maybe 15 MPH, which could actually be dangerous on an expressway.
from the Sunday Trib...
Reliever Jason Motte waved as he left the visitor’s clubhouse at Miller Park on a golf cart en route to the airport to catch a flight to Arizona to start a rehab assignment.
Motte has been on the 15-day disabled list since Aug. 24 because of a right shoulder strain, but there’s a possibility he could rejoin the Cubs if they advance deep in the playoffs.
Motte is scheduled to pitch in simulated games and in Instructional League games in Arizona.
8 in a row to end the year...let's do this playoffs thing.
shelby miller (ATL) finishes the season with a win, snapping his 24-game winless streak...because ATL bats are non-existent.
3.02 era, 1.25 whip, 205.1ip, 171K
Totally independent of the Cubs winning or losing today, Dan Haren came into today's game having earned $2M of his potential $3M in performance bonuses for 2015.
By making the start (his 32nd start of the season) he picked up $500K, and he'll get the remaining $500K if he can throw at least 8.2 IP in the game (he was at 181.1 IP coming into the game, and he needs to reach 190 IP to get the remaining $500K),
It's a bit like the old "Bowling for Dollars" TV show, but of course Haren is actually "Pitching for Dollars."
holy crap, MIL is just...awful.
i think he's currently playing for the Santo Domingo Meths. he's an Adderall-Star player there.