Spoon, Hair, and Grichuk Spell Doom for Cubs
Travis Witherspoon ripped an RBI double and Randal Grichuk slammed an RBI triple to highlight a four-run 3rd, and Trevor Hairgrove doubled twice and drove-in a run, leading the Angels to a 9-3 victory over the Cubs in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
Dan Vogelbach and Jeffrey Baez provided most all of the Cub offense today, with Vogelbach reaching base three times on an RBI single and two walks, and Jeffrey Baez roping a bases-loaded two run double down the LF line.
The Cubs had other chances to score and cut the Angel lead at various points during the game, but inopportune DP balls and strikeouts deflated the Cubs hopes.
The AZIL Cubs continue to struggle offensively, what with some of the squad's best hitters (including Javier Baez, Taiwan Easterling, Dustin Geiger, Reggie Golden, and Rafael Lopez) sidelined with injuries.
Shawon Dunston, Jr did break his 1-26 slump with a 4th inning single, but he also dropped a line-drive in CF allowing an unearned run to score in the top of the 3rd.
The Cubs pitching and defense left a lot to be desired today, as the Angels collected three triples, three doubles, and five singles, and scored two unearned runs thanks to three Cub errors.
Worst outing of the day among the eight Cubs pitchers who took the mound was the one by 5'8 fireballin' RHP Tarlandus Mitchell, who managed to allow two runs without the benefit of a hit in the top of the 6th. "T" walked the bases loaded and threw two wild pitches, hurling 25 pitches (but only seven strikes) in his one inning of work.
Mitchell was the Cubs 22nd round pick out of Alto HS - Alto, TX in 2008, but he has yet to get past Boise. His four seasons in the Cubs organization have been tarnished by injuries, and bouts with wildness when he has been healthy.
RHP David Henrie (2011 NDFA - Trinidad State JC) also struggled, but in a different way. Henrie allowed four runs (two earned) on four hits (two doubles, a triple, and a single) in just 1.2 IP. He also allowed one inherited run to score (charged to Jose Rosario), and commited a fielding error that directly led to one unearned run scoring.
Best outings today were the innings thrown by LHP Frank Del Valle and RHP Tony Zych, but that's no surprise since Del Valle and Zych have been two of the best-looking pitchers so far at Instructs.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, 2B: 1-2 (3-U, 1B, HBP, BB, R)
2. Trey Martin, LF: 1-4 (1B, 4-6-3 DP, F-7, 4-6-3 DP, R)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, 6-3, E-1, BB, R)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (1B, BB, BB, 3-6 FC, RBI, SB)
5. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (K, K, 2B, 5-4 FC, 2 RBI)
6. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, 1-3, F-7)
7a. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (BB, F-8, F-7)
7b. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-1 (K)
8. Neftali Rosario, DH #1: 0-2 (HBP, K, K, BB)
9. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (2-3 SH, P-4, BB, 4-3 DP)
10. Mark Malave, DH #2: 0-2 (K, 6-3, BB)
1. Jose Rosario: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K,14 pitches (9 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (15 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
3. Ian Dickson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Frank Del Valle: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (5 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Tarlandus Mitchell: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 25 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
6. Charles Thomas: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
7. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
8. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
1. P David Henrie - E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. CF Shawon Dunston, Jr - E-8 (missed catch with two outs allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score from 3rd base)
3. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
RF Jeffrey Baez - Batter thrown out 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
ATTENDANCE: 23 (including Angels manager Mike Scioscia)
WEATHER: Sunny with a gentle breeze and temperatures in the 90’s
Pitchers are golfers
Getting tired of the caddy catcher excuse
Dan Vogelbach is working on his firstbase defense in Seattle. Seems to say the Cubs didn't teach him properly.
Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!
Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...
Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!
Dear Baseball Gods--
My trip to Chicago has nothing whatsoever to do with the Cubs. In actuality, I am a Red Sox fan.
Well, if Strop had to give up a run...at least he hit Sean Rodriguez to do it.
jaso has a cycle and 5 rbis...pit leads by 4.
have a nice
bowl of pizza soupdeep dish pizza...or a leisurely walk around the notorious south-side (bring money)...shopping at one of the walmart supercenters...waiting in line to waste $20 at willis tower...
seriously, though...it's chicago, a lot to do. have a dog for lunch, a great dinner, and catch some local comedy.
Strange, because he really seemed to have the Pirates number last year.
Bummer for Jake -- I think this is the first time all year his ERA has been over 3.00, and that will be his number for the year.
Jinx remover -- your trip doesn't have to be for a baseball game -- lots of stuff to do here in town.
Guess they could always try to White Sox (and Bears...sob) approach: Never Rebuild! Seems to work pretty well for them.
3rd time this season he's given up 6+ runs to PIT...only team he's given up 6+ runs to this season.
7 runs is the most he's given up since august 6th in colorado...in 2014.
Over 100 pitches, only the 5th.
coghlan out...got his cleats stuck in the wall attempting a play (failed, but looked great doing it). walking off on his own, precautionary/day-to-day looking stuff...hopefully not worse.
also, jake arrieta is literally worse than hitler. 1-5, bottom 5. ...make that 1-6, bottom 5. ...make that 1-7, bottom 5.