Jurica Slugs Giants to Victory at Indian School Park
Carter Jurica tripled and scored to key a two-run 1st inning, and blasted a solo HR leading off the bottom of the 6th to provide what proved to be the game-winning run, as the Giants edged the Cubs 3-2 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale.
The game was extended an extra half-inning so that Cubs LHRP Andrew McKirahan could get his pre-scheduled inning of work.
The Cubs offense sputtered once again, with heavy guns like Reggie Golden, Dustin Geiger, Javier Baez, Taiwan Easterling, and Rafael Lopez still out of the lineup with various injuries.
Zeke DeVoss was involved in both of the Cubs run-scoring innings, leading off the top of the 1st with a single back through the box, advancing to 2nd on a ground out (hit & run), and then scoring the first run of the game on a Micah Gibbs RBI single, and later driving-in Justin Marra from 3rd base with a single in the top of the 6th to tie the game (for a very short time) at 2-2.
The defensive gem of the day was turned-in by Cubs 3B Mark Malave, who came in at full tilt like the proverbial “bull in a china shop” (and the 16-year old Venezuelan is built like a bull, too!) to field a swinging bunt bare-handed, and then nailed the batter at 1st base by half a step for the third out of the inning with a strong off-balance throw that was right on the money. The Cub bench and the few spectators who were at the game whooped it up pretty good as Malave came off the field, and the kid was all-smiles.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, CF: 2-4 (1B, 6-3, 1B, 1-3, R, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (5-3, K, K, 4-3)
3. Micah Gibbs, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, K, RBI)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (P-6, 6-3, 1B)
5. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-3 (P-4, 6-3, F-7)
6a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 1st TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
6b. Jeimer Candelario: DH #2: 0-1 (4-6-3 DP)
7. Trey Martin, LF: 0-3 (L-9, F-9, K)
8a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (K, BB, CS)
8b. Rubi Silva, 2B: 1-1 (1B)
9. Justin Marra, DH #3: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, 3-1, R)
10a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (5-3)
10b. Shawon Dunston, Jr, RF: 0-1 (1-3 SH, 4-3)
11. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (L-7, 1B, K)
1. Scott Weismann: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 26 pitches (18 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 28 pitches (18 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
3. Christopher Pieters: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 35 pitches (16 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Felix Pena: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 17 pitches (9 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Amaury Paulino: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (5 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
6. Andrew McKirahan: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
Micah Gibbs: 2-2 CS
RF Shawon Dunston, Jr - threw out batter 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Mostly sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Ha. Saw that. Pretty close.
So supposedly Schwarber was just the 1st Cubs player to hit a ball into Lake Michagan
Pretty good pitch by Cahill that Cruz hit, though throwing a breaking ball in the dirt seems like a better option in retrospect.
Cubs need to keep the foot on the gas at the plate. 4 runs won't be enough.
Hey, Johann, don't blame yourself. It's obviously me. He hates bro-- wait, nothing, nevermind.
HAHAHA this is gold.
You have joined room: TCR_Parachat
Welcome to our live chat room!
johann: hey is there a game going on?
Mornington_Crescent has left.
johann: he hates carlos and I both!
I was at the bank drive through during that strike out and yelled so loud I think I scared multiple people in other cars
bullpen vs 5 innings (6 if you count the 4th)...that should make for an eventful rest of the game.
Don't think I've ever seen a crowd go that crazy for a K to end the 4th inning.
This is going to be a long, crazy, afternoon.
Turn off the TV, and good things happen. back to work.
Folks, the local watering hole calls.
I LOVE YOU
Was there, MC ignored me, left >:(
That was a bad first inning.