Giant Nine Spot Crushes Cubs
Matt Downs clubbed a grand slam home run to cap a nine-run 2nd inning, and the Giants coasted to a 9-4 victory over the Cubs in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
18-year old Venezuelan RHP Larry Suarez got the start for the Cubs today, and just like last time, had an easy 1-2-3 1st inning before struggling in his second inning of work.
The big right-hander allowed five runs on three hits and two walks in the top of the 2nd, and while his stuff was good (heavy sinker and a "plus" breaking ball), the big right-hander struggled with his mechanics, as he had a lot of trouble throwing strikes.
2008 11th round pick RHP Toby Matchulat (Wabash Valley CC) relieved Suarez with one out in the 2nd inning, and proceeded to surrender two bases-loaded walks and the grand slam to Downs. Matchulat had even more difficulty finding home plate than did Suarez.
Tarlandus Mitchell (two innings) and Erik Hamren, Jayson Ruhlman, Brian Schlitter, and Steve Vento (one inning each) threw six innings of one-hit shutout relief, but by then it was too late. Schlitter returned to the mound looking none the worse for wear, after getting struck flush on the shin by a line drive last week.
On offense, the Cubs scored a run in the bottom of the 1st, as speedy lead-off hitter Tony Campana worked a walk, stole second, advanced to 3rd on a wild pitch, and scored on a Josh Vitters RBI ground out.
The Cubs plated three more runs in the 4th on doubles by Vitters and Robinson Chirinos, a walk, two wild pitches, and a two-out RBI single by Junior Lake.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Tony Campana, CF: 1-2 (R, 2 BB, SB, CS)
2. Josh Harrison, 2B: 0-3 (BB, K, 2 SB)
3. Josh Vitters, 3B: 1-4 (2B, R, RBI)
4. Brandon Guyer, RF: 1-4 (2 K)
5. Robinson Chirinos, C-DH: 1-4 (2B, R, RBI, K)
6. Jericho Jones, DH #1: 1-3 (R, 2B, BB, K)
7. Jake Opitz, 1B: 1-3 (2B)
8. Junior Lake, SS: 1-3 (RBI)
9. Carlos Morales, LF: 0-3 (2 K)
10. Carlos Perez, DH-C: 1-3
1. Larry Suarez - 1.1 IP, 3 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP (1/1 GO/F/O) - 31 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Toby Matchulat - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR (3/2 GO/FO) - 30 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Tarlandus Mitchell - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K (1/3 GO/FO) - 39 pitches (25 strikes)
4. Erik Hamren - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP (1/1 GO/FO) - 17 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Jayson Ruhlman - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K (0/1 GO/FO) - 11 pitches (9 strikes)
6. Brian Schlitter - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K (1/2 GO/FO) - 15 pitches (9 strikes)
7. Steve Vento - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K (1/1 GO/FO) - 17 pitches (8 strikes)
1. Toby Matchulat, E-1, fumbled dribbler hit in front of pitcher's mound allowing batter to reach base;
2. Junior Lake, E-6, two base overthrow at 1st base allowing batter to reach 2nd base.
Robinson Chirinos: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Hot but VERY breezy
ATTENDANCE: 60+ (MLB Scout School Day)
JOHN B: Pierce Johnson and Rob Zastryzny were likely 2015 AFL candidates ( I mentioned them as likely candidates to get assigned to the AFL in an article about the AFL last month) because they are starting pitchers who missed part of the season due to injuries and they need to accrue more innings. Guys who have been pitching regularly as starters have thrown too many innings to be considered, so it probably came down to Johnson, Zastryzny, and Duane Underwood Jr, with Underwood odd man out because he hasn't pitched above Hi-A.
extremely classy. i didn't see his reaction until the replay after the break. baseball needs more fun in some areas and less of some 'unwritten rules' violations leading to angst.
Nice bounce back game for Grimm, and "well done" Dan Haren. We'll take that (almost) every time.
I have never been a Brandon Phillips fan, but that was a very classy way to handle Strop yelling at him after the K.
go cubs go
You know you like it
AZ Phil: Any thoughts on the AFL Cubs? Some names on the list caught me by surprise.
"woo." - pedro strop
Well Ross is out, so they had to bring in Rodney
these ties and leads being immediately pissed away is getting old
btw, Madbum vs Groin-key tonight