Jurica Slugs Giants to Victory at Indian School Park
Carter Jurica tripled and scored to key a two-run 1st inning, and blasted a solo HR leading off the bottom of the 6th to provide what proved to be the game-winning run, as the Giants edged the Cubs 3-2 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale.
The game was extended an extra half-inning so that Cubs LHRP Andrew McKirahan could get his pre-scheduled inning of work.
The Cubs offense sputtered once again, with heavy guns like Reggie Golden, Dustin Geiger, Javier Baez, Taiwan Easterling, and Rafael Lopez still out of the lineup with various injuries.
Zeke DeVoss was involved in both of the Cubs run-scoring innings, leading off the top of the 1st with a single back through the box, advancing to 2nd on a ground out (hit & run), and then scoring the first run of the game on a Micah Gibbs RBI single, and later driving-in Justin Marra from 3rd base with a single in the top of the 6th to tie the game (for a very short time) at 2-2.
The defensive gem of the day was turned-in by Cubs 3B Mark Malave, who came in at full tilt like the proverbial “bull in a china shop” (and the 16-year old Venezuelan is built like a bull, too!) to field a swinging bunt bare-handed, and then nailed the batter at 1st base by half a step for the third out of the inning with a strong off-balance throw that was right on the money. The Cub bench and the few spectators who were at the game whooped it up pretty good as Malave came off the field, and the kid was all-smiles.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, CF: 2-4 (1B, 6-3, 1B, 1-3, R, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (5-3, K, K, 4-3)
3. Micah Gibbs, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, K, RBI)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (P-6, 6-3, 1B)
5. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-3 (P-4, 6-3, F-7)
6a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 1st TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
6b. Jeimer Candelario: DH #2: 0-1 (4-6-3 DP)
7. Trey Martin, LF: 0-3 (L-9, F-9, K)
8a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (K, BB, CS)
8b. Rubi Silva, 2B: 1-1 (1B)
9. Justin Marra, DH #3: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, 3-1, R)
10a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (5-3)
10b. Shawon Dunston, Jr, RF: 0-1 (1-3 SH, 4-3)
11. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (L-7, 1B, K)
1. Scott Weismann: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 26 pitches (18 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 28 pitches (18 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
3. Christopher Pieters: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 35 pitches (16 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Felix Pena: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 17 pitches (9 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Amaury Paulino: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (5 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
6. Andrew McKirahan: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
Micah Gibbs: 2-2 CS
RF Shawon Dunston, Jr - threw out batter 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Mostly sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
jeebus... that's terrible.
*clap* *clap* *clap*
Thanks AZ. If you like him, I like him.
Awesome report, and good to see Beeler on his way back.
The hope is that another MLB club will claim the player, so that you aren't on the hook for any termination pay (which you would be if you release him) AND you pick up $20,000 from the claiming team, all for a guy you don't want going forward anyway.
Cubs MLB 40-man roster now stands at 37 (three slots open).
yow...the a.gordon/m.moustakas collision now makes the schwarb collision look minor in scope.
dodgers calling up julio urias for tommorow's game. neat.
Tony LaRussa, still an idiot
Gleyber also in the picture at second.
Losing the right way