Billy Petrick Back on Hill

Brad Boyer put the Giants on the scoreboard with a solo home run in the bottom of the 6th and the Cubs were held to just three singles, as the Giants shutout the Cubs 2-0 in AZ Instructional League action at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this afternoon.

RHP Billy Petrick, hampered by shoulder weakness since the start of Spring Training and on the Daytona Cubs DL since the end of May, got the start for the Cubs today, and he looked OK. He was removed with one out in the bottom of the 2nd inning after throwing 20 pitches (15 strikes), during which time he allowed one hit (a harmless single) and no walks, with one strikeout, a pop-up, and two ground outs.

Whether Petrick remains on the 40-man roster or gets outrighted to the minors remains to be seen, but I would think how he throws at Instructs will help the Cubs make that determination.

The Cubs bats were quiet today, so there really isn't much I can say about the offense except it needed a wake-up call but didn't get one.

Here is today's box score (Cubs players only):

LINEUP:
1. Tony Campana, RF: 0-4
2. Starlin Castro, SS: 0-3
3. Josh Vitters, 3B: 0-3
4. Brandon Guyer, CF: 0-2 (2 K, HBP)
5. Rebel Ridling, 1B: 0-3
6. Jake Opitz, 2B: 2-3
7. Michael Brenly, DH #1: 0-3 (K)
8. Junior Lake, LF: 0-3 (K)
9. Juan Medina, C-DH: 0-2 (HBP)
10. Matt Cerda, DH-C: 1-3

PITCHERS:
1. Billy Petrick: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K (2/1 GO/FO) - 20 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Luke Sommer - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP (2/2 GO/FO) - 17 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Tommy Mejia - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K (3/3 GO/FO) - 22 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Andres Quezada - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR  (1/1 GO/FO) - 17 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Diego Encarnacion - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR (1/2 GO/FO) - 28 pitches (18 strikes)

ERRORS: NONE

OUTFIELD ASSIST:
Junior Lake threw out batter 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double.

WEATHER: Hot, cloudless, with only a very slight breeze
ATTENDANCE: 16 (mostly scouts)

Comments

nice to hear from you regularly again, phil.

also...this twins/wsox game is a hell of a game.

Agreed, crunch. Is it bad of me that I was hoping for an AJ injury on that play at home?

Well... on the bright side, I guess we can look forward to a "Windy City Series"

What a game by Danks. Very clutch. Nice catch to end the game, too. Both Chi teams in the playoffs.

The Cubs today picked up the 2010 option on manager Lou Piniella's contract.
---------------

Looks like Jake Opitz is doing very well in Instructs, have been hearing some great things about him. How does the rest of the squad look?

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 12 min 49 sec ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

Rob G. 1 hour 11 min ago view
  • I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 1 hour 49 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.

• i do what i want.

i run with 12 gangs and we only commit hate crimes.

i do what i want.

• I was asking how well Scherzer holds on runners.

#baseballtalk

BTW, your used underwear remark sounds rather specific. Please don't project. Thanks.

Tito 3 hours 37 min ago view
  • nothing gets you going like someone talking about lester, eh?

i hope you're on his payroll or he sends you used underwear or whatever you're into.

btw, he holds runners like shit. he does things with runners i've never seen another pitcher do in my life...even going back before i was born as far as i can tell. would you like to discuss it? that sounds like it could be educational and fun. hit me up, bruh.

• last year they won 97...and came in 3rd in the division. crazy game on a year-to-year basis.

this year it's likely no one else in the division will win 90, though it's technically possible at this point.

no matter what, this is a special team, though...very well rounded...and should be mostly intact next year with a bonus schwarber. chapman may not be around, but whatever...rondon and crew are capable even if not on chapman's level.

• How well does he hold on runners?

#baseballtalk

Tito 5 hours 36 min ago view
  • It's August 26. Cubs with 14 game lead. And not for #1 draft pick.

Words I never thought I would type together.

Jackstraw 5 hours 51 min ago view
  • One more victory to ensure a winning season!

• If I were a betting man

Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
    Monty on mound.

Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo

/Prove me wrong

jacos 8 hours 8 min ago view
  • When Scherzer is on his game, he might the the most dominant and intimidating pitcher. A couple of games he has pitched against the Cubs when he had his stuff, and his mound presence was just powerful.

• So are lack of chances due to the great pitching?

jacos 8 hours 11 min ago view
  • TLS watch: 0-4 with Iowa last night. Saving his pinch hits for September.

Cubster 9 hours 1 min ago view