Thursday Cubs Headlines
After Kaplan claimed Kerry Wood was close to moving on, he then took credit that his story spurred the Cubs to up their offer for Kerry and that he should be signing with the Cubs soon. Jon Morosi of Fox Sports broke the news saying it's likely to be a one-year deal with some sort of 2013 option.
- Theo downplayed talks regarding Matt Garza, claiming more has been reported in the media than has actually happened. The Tigers (as they should) seem more than content with keeping Jacob Turner as their 5th starter this year (he won't last long there).
- Kevin Goldstein tweets that the Cubs are "definitely interested" in Yoenis Cespedes who signed up with a Dominican team today, which should give scouts even a better look at him. Rumor is that Jorge Soler probably won't sign until the season starts.
- The cops will have a little chat with Starlin Castro next week over the sexual assault allegations.
- The Cubs baseball ops department is now working with Bloomberg Sports on a "state-of-the-art player evaluation system". Hopefully they've moved Ari Kaplan's office out of the maintenance closet by now.
- Darwin Barney is not taking for granted that he'll be the starting second baseman. I promise to not take it for granted either and will openly root for an upgrade.
- At some point it seems the Cubs signed C Juan Apodaca out of the Indians organization on a minor league deal. If you haven't heard, "popular" Cubs backstop Koyie Hill(as coined by Jon Morosi) signed with the Cardinals on a minor league deal.
- A fun graph on which hitters are left on the free agent market, with Fielder and Pena leading the group.
- In Bears news, Mike Tice isn't buying the current pass-happy trend in the NFL. In personel news, I just slammed my head into the wall.
- The Bears have also received permission to interview four candidates: Marc Ross - director of college scouting, New York Giants, Jimmy Raye III, director of player personnel, San Diego Chargers, Jason Licht, director of pro personnel, New England Patriots and Phil Emery, director of college scouting, Kansas City Chiefs. Knowing nothing about them, I vote for the Patriot guy.
pretty much this. also, a magician.
Madden brought it in some lions and sharks to Wrigley Field and let them eat people
What did I miss?
I think Strop deserves a very special mention. He had so many struggles against the Cardinals but pitched two successful and very high pressure innings the last two games against them and looked nasty doing so.
How about this, the Cubs are 10-1 over the last 3 weeks.
I was thinking about it earlier that the Cubs are 101-66 and the Cards 101-65...but, does anyone outside of the two of us ever calculate records including post season? Don't think I've seen that ever before.
With today's victory, the Cubs are just 1/2 game behind (0.5 GB) the Cardinals for the best record in MLB in 2015.
If they win the LCS and the World Series and go no worse than 8-4 in the process, the Cubs will be World Champions AND they will have the best record in MLB in 2015 (CUBS 109-70 .6089 versus STL 101-65 .6084).
Well, I can say this...Cardinals fans certainly hate the Cubs right now...about as much as Pirates fans.
Our bullpen was friggin brilliant this series...even if their ERA doesn't look good.
Not sure who I want...Kershaw/Greinke is scary, but I almost worry more about the Mets ability to score in bunches like us.
Do like the fact that if it is the Dodgers, Kershaw can't go until Game 2 and Greinke until Game 3.
I agree with you, but I hate them both. I hate Stephen Piscotty. I hate Tommy Pham. I hate Yadier Molina. I hate Kolten Wong. I hate Jon Jay. And that's just off the 2015 version of the Cardinals.
Sorry, I'm a hateful person :(
The Cardinals themselves are fine and a tough opponent, it's really just their cocky, hick fans I can't stand.
I've been waiting a long time to say this... here it goes:
SEASON IS OVER, CARDINALS. SUUUUUUUUCK IT.
LAD/NYM going a full 5 games would rock. more rest for the cubs pitchers, less rest for theirs...
kershaw on the mound, NYM lead the series 2-1.
I'll happily settle for 4 to do something the team hasn't done in 70 years...until we win 4...then I'll get greedy ;-)
8 more wins, please.
4 more wins please.