Thursday Cubs Headlines

After Kaplan claimed Kerry Wood was close to moving on, he then took credit that his story spurred the Cubs to up their offer for Kerry and that he should be signing with the Cubs soon. Jon Morosi of Fox Sports broke the news saying it's likely to be a one-year deal with some sort of 2013 option.

- Theo downplayed talks regarding Matt Garza, claiming more has been reported in the media than has actually happened.  The Tigers (as they should) seem more than content with keeping Jacob Turner as their 5th starter this year (he won't last long there).

- Kevin Goldstein tweets that the Cubs are "definitely interested" in Yoenis Cespedes who signed up with a Dominican team today, which should give scouts even a better look at him. Rumor is that Jorge Soler probably won't sign until the season starts.

- The cops will have a little chat with Starlin Castro next week over the sexual assault allegations.

- The Cubs baseball ops department is now working with Bloomberg Sports on a "state-of-the-art player evaluation system". Hopefully they've moved Ari Kaplan's office out of the maintenance closet by now.

- Darwin Barney is not taking for granted that he'll be the starting second baseman. I promise to not take it for granted either and will openly root for an upgrade.

- At some point it seems the Cubs signed C Juan Apodaca out of the Indians organization on a minor league deal. If you haven't heard, "popular" Cubs backstop  Koyie Hill(as coined by Jon Morosi) signed with the Cardinals on a minor league deal.

- A fun graph on which hitters are left on the free agent market, with Fielder and Pena leading the group.

- In Bears news, Mike Tice isn't buying the current pass-happy trend in the NFL. In personel news, I just slammed my head into the wall.

- The Bears have also received permission to interview four candidates: Marc Ross - director of college scouting, New York Giants, Jimmy Raye III, director of player personnel, San Diego Chargers, Jason Licht, director of pro personnel, New England Patriots and Phil Emery, director of college scouting, Kansas City Chiefs. Knowing nothing about them, I vote for the Patriot guy.

Comments

Apropos the "FanGraphs: Alfonso Soriano's Platoon Value" twitter link.

Interesting article, but they lost me at "underrated fielding skills". Although, if they're referencing common complaints such as "a brick can field better than Sorryano, luz", then yeah, underrated sounds about right.

I kinda liked one of the comments:

"The UZR/eye-test discrepancy is enough to make a man drink at night"

5.1 and 3.4 UZR in 2010/2011.

yeah, that's enough to walk away from this stat along with about 100 other players currently playing.

He's got a good arm for a LF. But since 2008, teams have been wise not to run on him, and the effect of that advantage is less visible. The rest of his "game" speaks for itself.

He does have a strong arm, but his fielding is garbage and his accuracy isn't nearly what it was his first year in Chicago. Maybe I haven't been paying attention properly, but I've been thinking that (despite his initial success) everyone is running on him now. Am I wrong?

You're right. His cannon turned into a popgun last year. Inaccurate too.

I always felt like Soriano's was an average arm but his quick release and accuracy resulted in him throwing out base-runners.

"Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies have offered Jamie Moyer a minor league contract."

HELL YEAH!

go moyer.

Is he 50 yet?

very close...turned 49 this past Nov.

charlie hough was a quitter... =p

He's just going to Coors Field to pad his HR allowed record

Reds sign Ryan Ludwig, $2.5M with up to $3M if incentives happen.

Pages

• The hot start was nice, but it won't always come easy. It's nice to see them have to work for it every once in a while.

Ryno 1 hour 24 min ago view
  • Hey, AZ, are you as high on DJ Wilson as your pal John Arguello is?

Old and Blue 1 hour 42 min ago view
  • Phil, I just wanted to say thank you for diligently tracking the Cubs prospects in extended spring training and sharing your knowledge with us. It's remarkable how you're able to keep box scores for multiple games at once. I, and I'm sure others here, appreciate the data and insight you provide for us.

K Dub 4 hours 35 min ago view
  • Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 11 hours 32 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 11 hours 46 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.

• chased a high fastball...

I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950

• Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.

Eric S 12 hours 34 min ago view
  • That's all fine and good, but I think it's short-changing the Arrieta-like affect of his beard

Eric S 12 hours 38 min ago view
  • Was the error scored on Zobrist's third ab ruled correctly? Ron was saying that it was a pretty tough chance for the fielder

Eric S 12 hours 47 min ago view
  • Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?

That was extremely disappointing.

• Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.

• Very satisfying, gut-check win today. The beers on the trip back to Chicago are going to taste fantastic.

Eric S 15 hours 15 min ago view