Cubs Bunting Tourney Update and Other Notes
- Let's see if I kept track here correctly in the bunting tourney. First round winners to date include:
Position Player's Bracket
- (16) Szczur over (1) Lake
- (9) Cardenas over (8) Vitters
- (12) J. Mota over (5) Brenly
- (4) Lalli over (13) Adduci
- (11) B. Jackson over (6) Ha
- (3) W. Castillo over (14) Sappelt
- (7) Clevenger over (10) Campana
- (2) LaHair over (15) Rizzo
- (1) Mather over (16) E. Gonzalez
- (9) Barney over (8) Scales
- (5) Castro over (12) J. Jaramillo
- (4) Stewart over (13) Tolbert
- (11) Soto over (6) DeWitt
- (3) Baker over (14) Amezaga
- (7) Byrd over (10) Johnson
- (2) DeJesus over (15) Soriano
- (1) J. Beliveau over (16) A. Cabrera
- (8) L. Castillo over (9) C. Weathers
- (12) McNutt over (5) Carrilo
- (13) Dolis over (4) Jay Jackson
- (6) Rhee over (11) Gaub
- (14) Rusin over (3) Bussy
- (10) Maine over (7) Parker
- (2) Coleman over (15) Mateo
- (1) T. Wood over (16) Caridad
- (9) Samardzija over (8) Russell
- (12) Wells over (5) Volstad
- (4) Sonnastine over (13) Corpas
- (11) Marmol over (6) Garza
- (3) Maholm over (14) Lopez (originally postponed due to Maholm being sick)
- (10 Dempster over (7) T. Miller
- (15) Sveum over (2) Kerry Wood
2nd Round Matchups are:
Position Players' Bracket
- (9) Cardenas vs. (16) Szczur
- (4) Lalli vs. (12) Mota
- (3) W. Castillo vs. (11) B. Jackson
- (2) LaHair vs. (7) Clevenger
- (1) Mather vs. (9) Barney
- (4) Stewart vs. (5) Castro
- (3) Baker vs. (11) Soto
- (2) DeJesus vs. (7) Byrd
- (1) Beliveau vs. (8) L. Castillo
- (12) McNutt vs. (13) Dolis
- (6) Rhee vs. (14) Rusin
- (2) Coleman vs. (10) Maine
- (1) T. Wood vs. (9) Samardzija
- (4) Sonnastine vs. (12) Wells
- (11) Marmol vs. Maholm/Lopez winner (Update: Maholm beat Lopez)
- (10) Dempster vs. (15) Sveum
- It appears Jeff Samardzija is a bit of a Kenny Powers fan.
- The Cubs will play some intrasquad games Friday and Saturday, with Cactus League play beginning on Sunday. Rodrigo Lopez gets the starting nod on Sunday. He'll be followed by Ryan Dempster on Monday and Matt Garza on Tuesday.
- Carlos Marmol spent the offseason riding horses and starring in romantic novels or something like that.
So, the Mesa Cubs should be solid this summer in the AZL Rookie League?
And, I like the, "But did you know" lead in there. Something a little different.
I can tell really like this group of hitters in AZ right now.
What pitchers out there, other than Cease, should we be excited about?
Thanks as always for the info.
back on the Run Differential hunt... (aka The Hunt for Blue October)
These are the 2016 Cubs I know and love. Also digging that Cardinals OF (lack of) defense.
Another day, another eight runs
I'm not sure there was another team in baseball that would flip a Dansby Swanson type of prospect (plus Inciarte, plus Toussaint) for Miller. That trade was just comically bad from the start, and getting worse...
Zobrist just keeps squaring up - and Soler goes yard!
Pirates jumping all over Shelby Miller tonight - so glad the Cubs didn't flip a Dansby Swanson type prospect to the Braves for him. Two years of Lackey looking like a good alternative.
3rd inning...soler walked twice in the game...first time since aug 4th last year in the regular season (2 times in the playoffs, amazingly).
Good gravy, was that a much-appreciated top of the first.
That's a good analogy, bb... Nice to see tonight's game start with a 104 yard kickoff return TD.
Grichuk won the game last night but a decent CF would have caught that drive by Ross. Good Cubbery!
this game is WAY better than last night.
6 run 1st for the cubs...
Very bizarre game -- as you say, both Cubs pitchers were dominant until the one fatal pitch. It was like watching the Bears defense shut down a team, and then lose on 2 punt returns. Some better hitting with RISP would be a good idea, too.
Trouble Boys, the Replacements bio, is a great option. I'm sure Chad loved it.
Amen Brick. What's the point of following early-season games if you can't over-react to them? What, we should be reading books now?
"Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?"
No, I think you're thinking of Radiohead, The 1975, or Bowie's last album.
Although The National's Greatful Dead tribute is pretty cool.