No News is Good News...I Guess
It certainly has been a rather drama free first week of camp, which doesn't give me much to react to...but I'll do my best.
- A Dave Kaplan tweet says Dale Sveum would bat Starlin Casto third if the season started today. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with that leading to Darwin Barney probably batting second. Hopefully the front office can talk some sense into him or he'll set a record for losing the benefit of the doubt by fans like me rather quickly. If that is the case, I presume the lineup could look like this against righties: DeJesus, Barney (gag), Castro, LaHair, Soriano, Stewart, Byrd, Soto.
I'd prefer Castro batting second, but if Sveum insists on him batting third, I'd rather see: DeJesus, Byrd, Castro, LaHair, Soriano, Stewart, Soto, Barney.
- An article on Ryan Flaherty's chances of sticking with the Baltimore Orioles.
- Sveum on what he's looking for in a back-up catcher, "[Handedness] matters, but it’s not the final piece of the puzzle,” Sveum said. “The guy who will work and be able to handle pitchers is the biggest thing when it comes down to it.”
That should be one of the spring training battles which from what I can tell come down to the following:
Back-up Catcher: Steve Clevenger, Welington Castillo and Jason Jaramillo
4th/5th Starter: Figure Garza, Dempster and Maholm are locked in leaving Chris Volstad, Travis Wood, Randy Wells, Andy Sonnastine and Jeff Samardzija fighting for 2 spots.
5th OF: Soriano, Byrd, DeJesus, Johnson take up the first four with Tony Campana, Dave Sappelt and Joe Mather battling for a spot.
Back-up Middle Infielder: LaHair, Barney, Castro, Stewart and Baker seem locked in leaving Adrian Cardenas, Blake DeWitt, Matt Tolbert, Edgar Gonzalez and even Bobby Scales fighting it out.
Bullpen: I suspect Marmol, Wood, Russell and Samardzija are locked in. That leaves 3 spots open for the likes of Scott Maine, Jeff Beliveau, John Gaub, Trever Miller, Marcus Mateo, Manny Corpas, Rodrigo Lopez, Casey Coleman, Lendy Castillo and whomever loses out on the starter jobs if they don't get optioned, traded or released.
Obviously a spot on the 40-man gives a player the edge and then it'll be a mix of how they look in spring training versus what Sveum and his coaches feel the team needs and what the player needs (more development time, major league experience, speed, handedness, etc).
If I had to guess today: Jaramillo, Volstad and T. Wood, Campana, Cardenas and Maine, Corpas and either Lopez, Sonnastine or Wells for the swingman job (in order of likelihood).
- The Cubs are half way through the second round of the bunting tourney, here are the 8 that have advanced with 8 more second round match-ups to go.
(1) Beliveau vs. (12) McNutt
(2) Coleman vs. (14) Rusin
(4) Lalli vs. (9) Cardenas
(3) W. Castillo vs. (10) Clevenger
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.
something tells me this isn't godley's day.
Page loading faster, comments are very fast now.
BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!! BAEZ WITH A BASES LOADED WALK!!!!
great time to have a kid...much approved. more teams should be inducing labor around the cubs schedule.
cruising fast now
How does one strain a bone?
Also, what is the Cubs' record with Schwarb in the lineup?
Len just said Cubs are last in the majors in batting average. I had to look that up to confirm it. Methinks the opposite will be true in a few years.
So much congratulations!!
Goldschmidt back in AZ for birth of child.
I removed the work that dynamically updated the comments sections. Guess too many were experiencing a slow down.
Der Kaiser out 3-5 days with rib strain.
Will be reevaluated then.
Dear Webmaster: Current home page loading time is slightly over 1 minute 15 seconds. Opening this page was similar.
These are minutes of my life I can't get back. Sad but true. There is a fracture, I need to fix it.
Just took a long time to open right now