Ryan Dempster Day at Fitch Park
Greg Rohan singled, doubled, clubbed a three-run homer, and walked with the bases loaded, leading the Daytona Cubs to a 10-6 victory over the Inland Empire 66ers (Los Angeles Angels Hi-A affiliate) on Field #3, and Wes Darvill smacked an RBI triple to give the Chiefs the lead and then scored on a Sergio Burruel RBI single to key a two-run 4th, as Peoria defeated the Cedar Rapids Kernels (Angels “A” affiliate) 4-2 on Field #2, in Cactus League Minor League game action this afternoon at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Named the Cubs Opening Day starter last week by Manager Dale Sveum, veteran RHP Ryan Dempster made the short trip to Fitch Park (instead of the long bus ride to Goodyear) and got the start for Daytona.
He was supposed to throw six innings or 90 pitches (whichever came first).
Pitching to a lineup of “A”-ball kids, Dempster allowed six runs on eight hits (including three triples) in five innings of work. He threw 88 pitches (58 strikes), with 50 of the pitches thrown over his final two innings, as he was obviously laboring, and possibly tiring, too. He walked one, struck out four, and unleashed one wild pitch, with an 3/8 GO/FO (he had trouble keeping his pitches down).
RHP Zach Cates was scheduled to start for Daytona today, but was switched to the Peoria game to accommodate Ryan Dempster. Cates (acquired from SD in the Anthony Rizzo-Andrew Cashner deal) threw four innings and allowed one run on four hits and a walk, with two strikeouts.
There have been a number of roster moves at Minor League Camp over the past couple of days, including CF Jae-Hoon Ha from the Iowa squad to the Tennessee squad, CF Matt Szczur from AA Tennessee to Daytona, 2B-OF Zeke DeVoss, C Rafael Lopez, and OF John Andreoli from Tennessee to Peoria, RF Reggie Golden and CF Pin-Chieh Chen from Daytona to Peoria, and SS Javier Baez, 1B Dan Vogelbach, C Neftali Rosario, OF Trey Martin and several others from Peoria to Boise/Mesa.
As usual, players and pitchers from the Boise/Mesa squad were dispersed among the four full-season squads who played games today (AA Tennessee and AAA Iowa played the Angels AA and AAA squads at Diablo Park in Tempe), and several of the ones who did not travel to Tempe saw game action for Peoria or Daytona.
Although the Chiefs and D-Cubs were leading their games after 8-1/2 innings, the bottom of the 9th was played in both games so that all of the Angels pitchers who were scheduled to throw today could get their work in, and a top half of the 10th inning was played on Field #2 so that Cubs RHP Jin-Young Kim could get an inning of work.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games played at Fitch Park (Cubs players only)
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
1a. Zeke DeVoss, 2B-DH: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, 1B, 4-3, R)
1b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 5th TIME THRU ORDER
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS-3B: 1-4 (F-9, 1B, L-8, BB, 3-U, R, SB)
3. Rafael Lopez, DH-C: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, 4-3, BB, F-8)
4a. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-2 (F-8 SF, K, K, RBI)
4b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (5-4 FC, RBI)
5. Paul Hoilman, 1B: 0-3 (1B, F-7, BB, F-7)
6. John Andreoli, LF: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, BB, 5-3, R)
7a. Wes Darvill, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, 3-1, R, RBI)
7b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-1 (6-3)
8a. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, F-8, RBI)
8b. Brian Inoa, PH: 0-0 (BB)
9a. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 1-2 (2B, K)
9b. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 0-2 (4-3, F-8)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 1st TWO TIMES THRU ORDER
10b. Kenny Socorro, 2B: 0-2 (P-6, 5-3)
1. Zach Cates: 4.0 IP, 4 H 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 54 pitches (35 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (15 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Ramon Garcia: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
4. Bryce Shafer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 8 pitches (6 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Jin-Young Kim: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 7 pitches (6 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
PEORIA ERRORS: 2
1. P Zach Cates - E1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base)
2. C Sergio Burruel - E2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
PEORIA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Sergio Burruel: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
1. Matt Szczur, DH #1: 2-5 (K, 1-2 FC, 1B, 2B, 5-3, 3 R)
2. Elliot Soto, SS: 2-4 (6-3, BB, 1B, 1B, E-6, R, 2 RBI, CS)
3. Rubi Silva, LF: 1-5 (F-8, E-6, 1B, 3-1, E-6, R)
4. Greg Rohan, 3B: 3-4 (2B, BB, L-7, 1B, HR, R, 4 RBI, PO)
5. Richard Jones, 1B: 3-5 (K, 3-1, 1B, 1B, 2B, R, RBI)
6. Abner Abreu, RF: 1-5 (6-3, 4-3, 6-3 DP, 2B, F-8, RBI)
7. Dustin Harrington, 2B: 3-5 (1B, 1B, 1B, K, 4-3, R)
8a. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-2 (K, F-8)
8b. Anthony Giansanti, C: 2-3 (2B, P-4, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (BB, HBP, K, 1B, R)
10. Dan Vogelbach, DH #2: 0-3 (BB, 4-3, K, 4-3, R)
1. Ryan Dempster: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 88 pitches (58 strikes), 3/8 GO/FO
2. Eduardo Figueroa: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (17 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
3. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
6. James Pugliese: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
DAYTONA ERRORS: 3
1. P Ryan Dempster - E1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 1B Richard Jones - E3 (dropped pop-up in foul territory extending AB)
3. 3B Greg Rohan - E5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
DAYTONA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 0-3 CS
WEATHER: Overcast and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Just had to ask, I guess.
Haven't had a big comeback win in a long time (at least it seems like a long time). Great feeling!
Rizzo should hold clinics on 2-strike hitting. Awesome.
cubs lead in the top 7th!
triple, walk, domination
And he gets out of it by K-ing Braun, Lucroy and Carter!
Let's get some runs!
welcome to the cubs j.nathan.
2 pitches into the inning and there's a guy on 3rd with 0 outs (triple).
his velocity is hanging around 91/92mph.
Always a good idea to bring in Richard against a LH batter.
Russell left game with left heel contusion from foul ball on Saturday. Started to bother him during the Sunday game.
a.russell out and down into the clubhouse...no one knows why.
it's very hot on the field, so it might be heat related.
I blame the All-Star game again, or else Michael Barrett.
Miller park roof is closing. Hmmm, might play differently now?
Lester at 72 pitches through 3. Roof closing might get him through 6.
Middlebrows pulls a calf or hamstring. Len says he blew a tire rounding 1st. Nieuwenhuis enters game.
Now roof opening. Dizziness. No AC in the ballpark wrt the field.
just to lighten the mood:
Shark's day: 5.2 IP 5 Runs (all earned), 8 Hits, 2 HR. Left the game down 5-0 to Yankees.
Anyone expecting game 4 NLCS Shark vs Hammel or Lackey?
First inning: two on, no out, Rizz and Zobrist due up. Don't score.
Third inning: two on, one out, KB and Rizz due up. Don't score.
This is getting' old, fellahs.
KB still with ZERO RBI since the A/S break. Ouch.
62 through 2ip...yow.
it's an off day for d.ross, too. the wild pitch + passed ball in 2 separate strike 3 calls allowing the runner to reach 1st and the 5sb through 2ip makes for a bad game so far. ross cant shoulder any blame for some of those SBs, especially that villar steal of 3rd while lester watched him.
39 pitch inning by Lester. I guess it's a wash vs yesterday's 1st when Lackey gave up 2 run HR.
39 pitch, 2 run, 1st inning for lester. bleh.
horrible control so far today.