Ryan Dempster Day at Fitch Park
Greg Rohan singled, doubled, clubbed a three-run homer, and walked with the bases loaded, leading the Daytona Cubs to a 10-6 victory over the Inland Empire 66ers (Los Angeles Angels Hi-A affiliate) on Field #3, and Wes Darvill smacked an RBI triple to give the Chiefs the lead and then scored on a Sergio Burruel RBI single to key a two-run 4th, as Peoria defeated the Cedar Rapids Kernels (Angels “A” affiliate) 4-2 on Field #2, in Cactus League Minor League game action this afternoon at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Named the Cubs Opening Day starter last week by Manager Dale Sveum, veteran RHP Ryan Dempster made the short trip to Fitch Park (instead of the long bus ride to Goodyear) and got the start for Daytona.
He was supposed to throw six innings or 90 pitches (whichever came first).
Pitching to a lineup of “A”-ball kids, Dempster allowed six runs on eight hits (including three triples) in five innings of work. He threw 88 pitches (58 strikes), with 50 of the pitches thrown over his final two innings, as he was obviously laboring, and possibly tiring, too. He walked one, struck out four, and unleashed one wild pitch, with an 3/8 GO/FO (he had trouble keeping his pitches down).
RHP Zach Cates was scheduled to start for Daytona today, but was switched to the Peoria game to accommodate Ryan Dempster. Cates (acquired from SD in the Anthony Rizzo-Andrew Cashner deal) threw four innings and allowed one run on four hits and a walk, with two strikeouts.
There have been a number of roster moves at Minor League Camp over the past couple of days, including CF Jae-Hoon Ha from the Iowa squad to the Tennessee squad, CF Matt Szczur from AA Tennessee to Daytona, 2B-OF Zeke DeVoss, C Rafael Lopez, and OF John Andreoli from Tennessee to Peoria, RF Reggie Golden and CF Pin-Chieh Chen from Daytona to Peoria, and SS Javier Baez, 1B Dan Vogelbach, C Neftali Rosario, OF Trey Martin and several others from Peoria to Boise/Mesa.
As usual, players and pitchers from the Boise/Mesa squad were dispersed among the four full-season squads who played games today (AA Tennessee and AAA Iowa played the Angels AA and AAA squads at Diablo Park in Tempe), and several of the ones who did not travel to Tempe saw game action for Peoria or Daytona.
Although the Chiefs and D-Cubs were leading their games after 8-1/2 innings, the bottom of the 9th was played in both games so that all of the Angels pitchers who were scheduled to throw today could get their work in, and a top half of the 10th inning was played on Field #2 so that Cubs RHP Jin-Young Kim could get an inning of work.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games played at Fitch Park (Cubs players only)
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
1a. Zeke DeVoss, 2B-DH: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, 1B, 4-3, R)
1b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 5th TIME THRU ORDER
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS-3B: 1-4 (F-9, 1B, L-8, BB, 3-U, R, SB)
3. Rafael Lopez, DH-C: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, 4-3, BB, F-8)
4a. Reggie Golden, RF: 0-2 (F-8 SF, K, K, RBI)
4b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (5-4 FC, RBI)
5. Paul Hoilman, 1B: 0-3 (1B, F-7, BB, F-7)
6. John Andreoli, LF: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, BB, 5-3, R)
7a. Wes Darvill, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, 3-1, R, RBI)
7b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-1 (6-3)
8a. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, F-8, RBI)
8b. Brian Inoa, PH: 0-0 (BB)
9a. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 1-2 (2B, K)
9b. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 0-2 (4-3, F-8)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 1st TWO TIMES THRU ORDER
10b. Kenny Socorro, 2B: 0-2 (P-6, 5-3)
1. Zach Cates: 4.0 IP, 4 H 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 54 pitches (35 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 26 pitches (15 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Ramon Garcia: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
4. Bryce Shafer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 8 pitches (6 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Jin-Young Kim: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 7 pitches (6 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
PEORIA ERRORS: 2
1. P Zach Cates - E1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base)
2. C Sergio Burruel - E2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
PEORIA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Sergio Burruel: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
1. Matt Szczur, DH #1: 2-5 (K, 1-2 FC, 1B, 2B, 5-3, 3 R)
2. Elliot Soto, SS: 2-4 (6-3, BB, 1B, 1B, E-6, R, 2 RBI, CS)
3. Rubi Silva, LF: 1-5 (F-8, E-6, 1B, 3-1, E-6, R)
4. Greg Rohan, 3B: 3-4 (2B, BB, L-7, 1B, HR, R, 4 RBI, PO)
5. Richard Jones, 1B: 3-5 (K, 3-1, 1B, 1B, 2B, R, RBI)
6. Abner Abreu, RF: 1-5 (6-3, 4-3, 6-3 DP, 2B, F-8, RBI)
7. Dustin Harrington, 2B: 3-5 (1B, 1B, 1B, K, 4-3, R)
8a. Micah Gibbs, C: 0-2 (K, F-8)
8b. Anthony Giansanti, C: 2-3 (2B, P-4, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (BB, HBP, K, 1B, R)
10. Dan Vogelbach, DH #2: 0-3 (BB, 4-3, K, 4-3, R)
1. Ryan Dempster: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 88 pitches (58 strikes), 3/8 GO/FO
2. Eduardo Figueroa: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (17 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
3. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
6. James Pugliese: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
DAYTONA ERRORS: 3
1. P Ryan Dempster - E1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 1B Richard Jones - E3 (dropped pop-up in foul territory extending AB)
3. 3B Greg Rohan - E5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
DAYTONA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 0-3 CS
WEATHER: Overcast and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.
Awesome. It wasn't long ago that he was kind of the best prospect coming through the system.
Javy's grunge dive into the stands for the popup was awesome - the hitting into the double play not so much
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.
this game is no longer awesome.
he did...it was awesome.
I'm pretty sure that Len called Bryant's home run a Brexit.
everyone but heyward with a hit and a 3 run lead with coghlan on 3rd through 5 batters. hell yeah.
okay, this is just silly. 19 pitches in, 1 out, 4 runs in, men on 1st and 2nd...hendricks up to bunt.
...and almora contributes the final out. that was a fun inning.
this game is awesome already.
also, there's a lot of cubs fans in the park tonight.
Clearly, Joe Maddon is a Lineup Wizzard.
"Cubs manager Joe Maddon said Friday that Anthony Rizzo (back) is feeling better and it's "possible" the first baseman could return to the lineup Saturday."
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?
Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd
J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora