Should be gorgeous weather on Opening Day.

Seriously, can't believe how fabulous the weather's been.

I've had the top down almost every day for a couple weeks now.
Yep, can't wait for Opening Day.

(if only I could spell "gorgeous")

Comments

"With the rotation basically set and Joe Mather expected to win the final bench spot, one or two bullpen spots remain in flux, as is the backup catcher battle between Welington Castillo and Steve Clevenger."

[ ]

"Garza said he wanted to stay in and was surprised Sveum came out to get him. He had entered the inning at 65 pitches with a pitch count limit of 80."

'"I was like 'What are you doing out here? It's the fifth,'" Garza said. "He said: 'You have 80 pitches.' I said: 'I don't care.' And he said 'Well, I do. I still have to keep my job the next couple of years.'"'

On the radio this am, I heard the 1 word forecast including opening day: Frigid

Typical.

The Braves have released RHP Aaron Shafer, a 2nd round pick by the Cubs in 2008.

Ha...great toon.

Well done Tim, well done indeed.

One of your best!

Had me cracking up out loud..

As deniro told crystal in 'analyze this' - 'you...you're good, you...'

Wow. Thanks all!

• if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.

#Bernie130orBust

• I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.

VirginiaPhil 8 hours 11 min ago view
  • They've already clinched a minimum winning percentage of .607 for the month, and that's only if they lose the last 2 games. If they win both, they can push that up to .679. So much for "stumbling" in May. When you're winning over 60% of your games, you're doing baseball well.

John Beasley 9 hours 24 min ago view
  • If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!

(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)

Number eight for Jimenez. His team is 31-17. Yesterday they scored 17 runs against Lansing. Two weeks ago it was 15 runs against the same team. This is a nice team, South Bend. The Cubs must have had a good draft last year.

Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.

VirginiaPhil 9 hours 31 min ago view
  • RIP Zoobrest.

• He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.

• In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.

• Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?

• 34-14...awww yeah.

• Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]

Eric S 16 hours 24 min ago view
  • ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.

cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/

• HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.

Arizona Phil 19 hours 54 min ago view
  • ERIC S: Best outing I've ever seen from Manny Rondon, and I've seen most of his outings since the Cubs got him from the Angels.

M. Rondon is competing with six others (Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Erling Moreno) for a starting slot at Eugene, and (as you can probably tell from the EXST box scores)  the competition has gotten fierce over the last couple of weeks, With the exception of Moreno, the Eugene SP candidates have upped their game lately, and M. Rondon's outing yesterday was especially impressive/dominating.

Arizona Phil 19 hours 57 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Pierce Johnsion was mixing a 92-94 MPH fastball with a plus-change-up AND curve, and he threw strike-after-strike-after-strike with all three of his pitches. I believe that was the best command and pitch-efficiency I've ever seen from Johnson, who often pitches from behind in the count and issues too many walks.

Of course now he has to avoid a recurrence of the lat strain (whch he has had previously in his career) as well as all of the other miscellaneous physical problems he's had over the last three years (hamstring, quad, back, etc).

Arizona Phil 20 hours 7 min ago view
  • PHIL: Any movement on P. Johnsons pitches? What was his "out" pitch? I know he was working on a 4th pitch, so wondering what he is looking like these days. Thanks.

• AZ Phil, has Nathan showed up in Mesa yet? Thanks.

Hagsag 1 day 1 hour ago view