Should be gorgeous weather on Opening Day.

Seriously, can't believe how fabulous the weather's been.

I've had the top down almost every day for a couple weeks now.
Yep, can't wait for Opening Day.

(if only I could spell "gorgeous")

Comments

"With the rotation basically set and Joe Mather expected to win the final bench spot, one or two bullpen spots remain in flux, as is the backup catcher battle between Welington Castillo and Steve Clevenger."

[ ]

"Garza said he wanted to stay in and was surprised Sveum came out to get him. He had entered the inning at 65 pitches with a pitch count limit of 80."

'"I was like 'What are you doing out here? It's the fifth,'" Garza said. "He said: 'You have 80 pitches.' I said: 'I don't care.' And he said 'Well, I do. I still have to keep my job the next couple of years.'"'

On the radio this am, I heard the 1 word forecast including opening day: Frigid

Typical.

The Braves have released RHP Aaron Shafer, a 2nd round pick by the Cubs in 2008.

Ha...great toon.

Well done Tim, well done indeed.

One of your best!

Had me cracking up out loud..

As deniro told crystal in 'analyze this' - 'you...you're good, you...'

Wow. Thanks all!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 38 min 30 sec ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

The E-Man 1 hour 5 min ago view
  • Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 2 hours 18 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 19 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 21 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 2 hours 24 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 2 hours 32 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 2 hours 34 min ago view
  • I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 2 hours 54 min ago view
  • Given today's lineup -- maybe they just wanted an extra OF to give Dexter a few days off (i.e. day game after a night game).

• Tommy LaStella has three minor leaue options left so it's no big deal to send him to Iowa, but as of right now he projects to be at 2+124 MLB Service Time by the end of the of the 2016 MLB regular season, which will place him "on the bubble" as far as being eligible for salary arbitration as a "Super Two" post-2016.

But if he spends at least twenty days on optional assignment this season (anything less than twenty days and he will accrue a full season of MLB Service Time), he will not have enough MLB Service Time to have a chance to be a "Super Two."

Arizona Phil 3 hours 8 min ago view
  • this will be his 4th time leading off for the cubs this season...WITH A .500 OB%! HAIL MADDON! THE PLAN (c)2016! HE HAS RISEN! #YOLO #SWAG! KONY 2012!

• I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.

• TLS has options. He will be up again in Sept, and maybe earlier.

Rob Richardson 4 hours 15 min ago view
  • Very odd -- TLS .308/.419 in July (in 26 AB). Strange move for a team struggling to score runs. Hard to imagine Coghlan doing better than that. Maybe they like Coghlan better as a PH?