Samardzija throws 4-2/3 of a No-No at Fitch Park
Jeff Samardzija threw 4-2/3 innings of no hit ball, Luis Flores clubbed a solo home run, Shawon Dunston, Jr hammered a two-run homer, and Carlos Penalver had three hits, scored a run, and drove-in another, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Samardzija walked one and struck out four, threw one wild pitch, and had the opposing hitters pounding his pitches into the ground (8/2 GO/FO) throughout his outing. He threw 62 pitches (42 strikes) in his 4.2 IP of work.
Frankie de la Cruz followed The Shark to the mound, and was as bad as Samardzija was good. Vying for a spot in the Cubs bullpen, de la Cruz allowed five runs (all earned) on seven hits (including three doubles and a HR) and a walk in just 2.1 IP. He just flat-out got pounded... by kids who couldn't make the Peoria Opening Day roster.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 1-5 (3-U, 4-3, 4-3, HR, F-9, R, 2 RBI)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (5-3, 4-3, 1B, 2B, K, R)
3. Ryan Cuneo, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-3, BB, R)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (P-6, K, 2B, BB, R, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, 4-3, 1B, HBP, RBI, CS)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (P-1, K, K, 1B, RBI)
7. Anthony Giansanti, DH-C: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, BB, F-8, R)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-2 (BB, 2B, 6-4 FC, BB, RBI)
9. Luis Acosta, 2B: 1-4 (K, P-3, 4-U FC, 1B, R)
10a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY - DID NOT BAT
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-5 (6-3, 1B, 1-3, 4-6 FC, K, R, SB)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-5 (K, 1B, 1B, E-5, 1B, R, RBI)
3a. Luis Flores, C: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI)
3b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-3 (5-4 FC, 1B, 6-3, PO)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (E-6, 1B, 4-3, BB, HBP)
5. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-2 (3-U, BB, K, BB, BB, RBI)
6. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-4 (P-3, K, BB, L-6 DP, 4-6 FC)
7. Trevor Gretzky, DH: 1-2 (1B, E-4, BB, BB, R, SB, CS)
8. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-4 (1B, K, 1B, K)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K, HBP)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 77 pitches (49 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Brian Smith: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 HBP, 2 WP, 38 pitches (17 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jeff Samardzija: 4.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 62 pitches (42 strikes), 8/2 GO/FO
2. Frankie de la Cruz: 2.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 57 pitches (34 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
3. Ryan Hartman: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 30 pitches (12 strikes)
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Yaniel Cabezas: 1-3 CS
2. Anthony Giansanti: 1 PO
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-1 CS
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 5
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed base-runner to advance to 3rd)
3. 2B Luis Acosta - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
5. P Brian Smith - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed base-runner to advance to 2nd)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny, cool, and VERY breezy with temperatures in the 60’s
Dusty already has blue and red wrist bands.
a day old, but fwiw...
Theo and Jed at Miller Park to talk to #Cubs Maddon and staff. Playoff roster to be finalized by Wednesday morning
I'm guessing the order is the other way around.
cc sab going into alcohol rehab, missing the post-season for the yanks.
no bud black? cold.
Break up the Cubs!
MLB.com throws out two names to manage the Nats: Dave Martinez and Wally Backman.
having a roster chock full of egomaniacs and assholes doesn't help.
he won 'manager of the year' last year, fwiw.
If he were dealing with Chicago traffic, I would take my chances with the golf cart.
from the Sunday Trib...
Motte has been on the 15-day disabled list since Aug. 24 because of a right shoulder strain, but there’s a possibility he could rejoin the Cubs if they advance deep in the playoffs.
Motte is scheduled to pitch in simulated games and in Instructional League games in Arizona.
8 in a row to end the year...let's do this playoffs thing.
3.02 era, 1.25 whip, 205.1ip, 171K
By making the start (his 32nd start of the season) he picked up $500K, and he'll get the remaining $500K if he can throw at least 8.2 IP in the game (he was at 181.1 IP coming into the game, and he needs to reach 190 IP to get the remaining $500K),
It's a bit like the old "Bowling for Dollars" TV show, but of course Haren is actually "Pitching for Dollars."