A round of applause for Arizona Phil and his Cubs ST coverage!

I thought I knew a little about baseball til I started reading your posts here at TCR, Arizona Phil.
The depth of your knowledge and your frank, watchful eye have kept us all deeply in the loop of our favorite team.
Thanks.

And now...2012!
Whatever the hell it turns out to be.

Comments

Here here. Thanks, Az Phil

Thanks, Phil.
Always appreciate the in depth information.
Head over to the Woodshed in Mesa and have some wings on me.

I love your spring coverage. I love your coverage when the rest of the media returns to Chicago even more. Then we get XST coverage we'd get nowehere else.

I can't agree with this enough. Every day I check the site, hoping to see an AZ Phil recap about a game at Fitch Park that I couldn't follow elsewhere. Other teams might get a tweet or two about EXST or Fall Instructs, but the Cub fans get full box scores. Thank you, and I will most definately have to buy you a beer (or other beverage if you do not consume alcohol) when I finally am able to convince my wife to let me attend ST.

You could buy him a beer at Dwight Patterson Field -- no alcohol is allowed at Fitch Park (and it's strictly a BYOB situation there).

Yep keep up the good work AZ Phil.

Absolutely. Thank you, AZ Phil!

Thanks to all those who keep TCR alive and engaging! Thanks for the work and energy you put into this blog!

I have learned more from Phil than any baseball expert.

Agree--not only about how the Cubs' minor leaguers are doing, but also about good roster management and even batting and pitching tidbits. Thank you!

I seldom post, but often read. I too wanted to thank you for your coverage and insight!

Ditto from me, AZ PHIL. I never would have had the full appreciaton of how badly the Hendry regime mis-managed the 40-man without your thoughtful and detailed explanations. Thanks so much!

And, of course, your attendance reports frlom EXST and AFL. ;)

May the Cubs finally win a World Series in our lifetimes and when we can still enjoy it.

Ditto Ditto Ditto

Careful with the praise, someone is gonna make a "massaging his balls" comment soon.

There really are no other sources for the kind of stuff Phil writes.

It was also somewhat refreshing to see you express some opinions (not always favorable) on TheoCorp's early moves, particularly regarding the rule 5 stuff. And your excitement about Rizzo carries a lot of weight for me, too. Let's hope you find some more guys to give us some hope and that some of the lesser knowns that seem to have promise keep growing.

For me, what Phil brings most is his first hand evaluations and opinions on Cubs minor league 'prospects' in actual game situations (i.e. ST Exhibitions, EXT Spring games, AZ Rookie league, Fall Instructional, etc.). It's also obvious he has access to certain Cubs player development people as well as other organizations scouts/player development people. From this base, he puts his evaluations in print.

For me, Law, Sickels, Callis, Goldstein,et al do way more talking/texting MLB scouts/minor league people than actually viewing prospects 2, 3, 4 times a year. Since they're all national writers, I understand they have to do that to 'cover' 30 major league teams. Again for me, I take all of that type of evaluation with a major grain of salt.

At the end of the day (and to use an analogy from the intelligence community), I prefer boots on the ground intel to aerial/satellite recon.

Last point, at the end of the day all 'scouting' reports on Top 10/15/25/30 prospects is future predictions written in Jello. If/until they reach the majors (or even AA), adjust when the league adjusts to them, then adjust again, no one knows how any of them are going to turn out.

So, based on that, please keep the reports coming AZ Phil and I would love to take our families out to Vito's in Mesa for pizza (if it's still there) the next time we're in the Valley.

Ditto. Phil provides updates throughout the season from the Cubs activities in Mesa, we'd get that info nowhere else without him. Thanks AZP......

n

n.

Geez GEORGE! So enthralled you had to post it three times?

Still figuring out how to use this computer.

try hitting the save button once.

Here here

The Wizard of Az...

Thanks for another great spring, Phil.

Right on AZ Phil!

Thanks AZ Phil! Thanks Rob G.!

And thank you to everyone for making this such an enjoyable place.

thank you phil!!

Thank you Phil!!!!!!!!

Thanks, everybody.

• If it was 2006 Hendry would be there w a Bible and a contract

jacos 1 hour 18 min ago view
  • he subscribes to my twitter, he's beyond TCR. #yolo #swag

crunch 1 hour 55 min ago view
  • Whoops. Maddon must have been reading TCR (for his daily crunch) and got confused.

CTSteve 1 hour 58 min ago view
  • kuhl is a righty, not a lefty.

i think maddon might think kuhl is a lefty, too. i wonder what the reasoning is for baez leading off vs a rightie.

• "trout's one of the best, and at this point should probably win over donaldson (and should have more MVPs in the past, too), but the defensive aspect of valuing WAR still needs more tweaking...imo."

that's from my 1st post. there's no suck involved in that. maybe with a few less posts about bullshit that point would have jumped out more.

• crunch - you do know that, taking defense out of the equation, Trout has led the AL in wRC+ each of those years, right?

And, if you want to complain about position adjustment (which would be serious #crunchsplaining), he's been in the top 3 in the AL in WC (not park/league/position adjusted). And the only players ahead of him (if there were any players ahead of him) in any of those years have been DHs or 1B that play lousy defense.

But sure - Trout sucks (or at least isn't as good as WAR says). Because it factors in defense and position.

big_lowitzki 4 hours 31 min ago view
  • early tim tebow stuff rolling in...

ran a 6.7 60yd (above average)...shagging flies in RF and showed off a rather impressive arm a few times, but average-at best on most of his throws...hit a few over the fence (both fields), fouled or weak contact a few...he's got a touch of power

it'll be interesting to see who bites on this project, if anyone. he probably projected himself out of RF and into LF/1st because of his arm, but unless he can make that power work on a steady basis it'll be hard for him to play himself up anyone's system.

• LHP Clayton Richard (released by the Cubs earlier this month) is pitching very well as a starting pitcher for the San Diego Padres and could be a good candidate to get traded to a contender looking for a veteran SP before tomorrow night's post-season roster eligibility deadline.

Because they released him, the Cubs are paying most of Richard's 2016 salary (the Cubs are on the hooks for $2M, minus the pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum salary that is paid by the Padres).

Arizona Phil 7 hours 3 min ago view
  • it is honestly awesome (for real) that anyone would even have a strong opinion on AZL playoffs. i guess if you invest enough time watching it, you want to see a fair/just playoff structure.

plus, the kids deserve it.

• The AZL team with the best record over the course of the full 2016 AZL season and the only AZL team to play .600 ball (the AZL Dodgers) did not qualify for the AZL playoffs, and the AZL East Division team with the best record over the course of the full season (the AZL Athletics) did not qualify for the AZL playoffs, either.

That's because of the ridiculous "split season" schedule most of the minor leagues now play, a stupid system that rewards mediocrity at the expense of the worthy.

Arizona Phil 7 hours 10 min ago view
  • Despite good movement on his fastball, I think location kept him from getting Ks. Left some pitches up and away that got hammered up and away. Then of course Travis Wood gave up the 2-run double in the 7th, but both runs counted against Arrieta.

• "i'm gonna make you my main squeeze one day, bro. save the date."

This level of discourse is #charming.

#baseballtalk

Tito 7 hours 47 min ago view
  • I would be having this discussion with anyone who (a) blathered on ad nauseum about the topic. (See, "Olt, Mike, not given an opportunity") or (b) responded directly to what I posted (which you did).

Have a nice day.

#baseballtalk

Tito 7 hours 50 min ago view
  • what would you do without me? aside from having your posting content here cut by 75%+?

i'm gonna make you my main squeeze one day, bro. save the date.

• In this instance, yes, I care more about the result of this big thing that isn't really a big thing.

#crunchsplaining

#willlistentojeffsullivanmorethanyou

#blessyourheart

#hitler

#tcrmartyr

#billyhamiltonwar

#baseballtalk

Tito 7 hours 54 min ago view
  • Two things:

Fangraphs WAR #s include baserunning and Hamilton is elite at that. He leads in SBs with the 54 and and has an 87% rate which is really good. I'm sure once he gets on base he's able to take the extra base quite often too. Both those things will up his overall WAR value.

The differences between BR and FG WAR is pretty well documented online and thus If there are discrepancies it's fairly easy to figure out why. It's fairly well accepted that BR WAR is fine as a snapshot but FG is better at predicting future value.