Volstad Goes Four at Fitch & Castro Leads Cubs to Victory at HoHoKam
Chris Volstad threw four innings (67 pitches), allowing two runs (only one earned) on six hits (all singles), with no walks and eight strikeouts, and Jeffrey Baez singled twice, tripled, drove-in a run, and stole a base, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Despite allowing six hits, Volstad had a very impressive outing, throwing strikes and getting lots of ground balls (4/0 GO/FO and five ground ball singles).
Later in the day and a half-mile up Center Street, Iowa Cubs LHP Travis Wood threw six solid innings of one-run ball (76 pitches – 49 strikes), Starlin Castro hammered a 1st inning two-run home run off the scoreboard, Alfredo Amezaga clubbed a solo HR, and Joe Mather laced an RBI double into the LF corner and scored on a Darwin Barney RBI single, leading the Cubs to a 5-3 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers in what was the Cubs’ final Cactus League Spring Training game of 2012.
Rafael Dolis labored through his one inning of relief, walking two and allowing a two-out RBI double, but Shawn Camp pitched the 9th and notched the save in typical Shawn Camp fashion, allowing a hard-hit single through the box to open the inning, before inducing a 6-4-3 DP grounder, and getting the final out of the game on a check-swing strike three.
Because a half-dozen EXST Cubs position players were at the MLB game, the intrasquad game did not have enough players to stock two full lineups, so Rock Shoulders was the DH for both squads, and players from Squad “B” rotated defensively at 3B for Squad “A.”.
Here is the abridged box score from the intrasquad game at Fitch Park:
NOTE: Rock Shoulders was DH for both teams and had five PA (total), and SQUAD “B” players rotated defensively at 3B for SQUAD “A”
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 3-U, BB, K, SB)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-5 (K, 4-6 FC, K, F-8, F-8, 2 SB)
3. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (K, K, 3B, K, R)
4. Anthony Giansanti, C: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, K, R)
5. Rock Shoulders, DH: 1-4 (FC, 1B, 3-6-1 DP, K, R)
6. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 1-3 (3-6 DP, 1B, BB, 1-3)
7. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, K, 3B, RBI, SB)
8. Luis Acosta, SS: 0-4 (K, K, 6-3, K)
9. NO 3B IN LINEUP
NOTE: Jair Bogaerts played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th innings, Danny Lockhart played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 2nd and 6th innings, and Carlos Penalver played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 4th inning
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (1-3, BB, K, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 2nd & 4th TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 5-3 SH, BB, L-8, 1B, R, SB)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (BB, BB, 1B, BB, 4-3, R, SB)
4. Ryan Cuneo, LF: 2-5 (E-4, P-4, 4-3, 1B, 3B, R, RBI, SB)
5. Delbis Arcila, RF: 1-4 (BB, K, 3B, 4-3, 6-3, RBI)
6. Garrett Schlecht, CF: 2-5 (1B, K, K, F-7, 2B)
7. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 6-3, 1B)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 2nd & 4th TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Yaniel Cabezas, C: DID NOT BAT – PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST FOUR TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Rock Shoulders, DH: 0-1 (K)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Zach Cates: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (0 ER), 5 BB, 3 K, 73 pitches (36 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Alberto Cabrera: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (12 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Sheldon McDonald: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 19 pitches (15 strikes), 1/0 G)/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Chris Volstad: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 8 K, 1 GIDP, 67 pitches (49 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 24 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (6 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Felix Pena: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
5. Ian Dickson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Anthony Giansanti: 0-3 CS
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-4 CS
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70’s
Screw the closer.
He's had so few save opportunities that it might be difficult for him to get the All Star nod but Rondon has an absolutely ridiculous 1.05 ERA and 1.06 FIP after this game so far (and I think his worst outing was in the 10th inning non save situation) so I do absolutely think he is worth considering.
wood(4)/grimm/strop/rondon combine for 7ip 0h 0bb 8K
3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.
wonder if they'll let him go another.
4ip 0h 0bb 4k...and probably done f'real this time. 43 pitches and in line for the win.
And stay off the keyboard too
Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.
hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.
Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.
"cramping in right hamstring" according to the booth.
btw, it was his left hamstring that was injured last year.
hammel is injured and done..."leg cramp" or some other leg issue...was down behind the mound coming back from commercial and seemed to have injured himself warming up on the mound between innings.
heyward with a bit of starlin castro disease...you're great D dude, but you can't range 200ft in all directions even if you're playing CF.
that said, he almost had it...though zobrist or baez should have had it if heyward wasn't coming on at 100mph.
hammel is quite wild today even if he got the first 2 outs on Ks that were result of swinging through stuff not in the zone.
she did fine, fwiw.
bombs were bursting in the air...ramparts were watched...all that stuff.
zoobrest kissed her afterwards and got about 20lbs of the 100lbs of makeup she was wearing on him.
Cards still haven't been punished for hacking, "unlikely" to happen before June draft. http://bit.ly/1U8sEYL
i'd settle for him knocking it out the park...not settle, prefer...yeah.
I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.
Nice article on Willson Contreras in the DesMoines Register