Javier Baez Takes Maholm Deep at Fitch Park
Paul Maholm threw 5-2/3 innings (77 pitches), allowing three runs (all earned), seven hits (including two doubles, a triple, and a Javier Baez tape-measure home run), two walks, and a HBP, with five strikeouts and 5/5 GO/FO, in intrasquad action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
Baez crushed his two-run bomb off a house on the north side of 8th Street, and then later in the game, lined a rope-double off the LF fence, stole 3rd, and scored the tying run on an Oliver Zapata single (Zapata’s third hit of the game, BTW).
Baez also made the defensive play of the day (diving stop behind 2nd base, before getting to his feet and making a strong throw to 1st to nip speedy Trey Martin by less than a step).
The game was extended beyond nine innings to accommodate all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw today.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 3-5 (1B, 2B, K, P-2, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-5 (L-8 DP, 1B, F-8, 6-3, 6-4 FC, RBI, PO)
3. Ryan Cuneo, DH #1: 1-4 (F-8, 1B, BB, 1-3, 4-3)
4a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
4b. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, K, K, CS)
5. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, 5-3, HBP, 2B, K, R)
6. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 2-3 (6-3, 2B, BB, 1B, RBI)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-4 (K, F-9, K, 5-4-3 DP)
8. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-4 (6-3, 6-2 FC, 1B, 5-3, R, SB)
9. Javier Baez, SS: 2-4 (K, HR, K, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB)
10. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-4 (K, 3B, 4-3, K)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Luis Acosta, DH #3: 0-2 (F-9, K)
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1 Trey Martin, CF: 1-5 (3-U, BB, 1B, 3-U, F-7, 6-3, R)
2a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (P-4, E-6, P-4)
2b. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, K, PO)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, 4-3, BB, BB, RBI)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 2-6 (2B, 5-4-3 DP, 4-3, 1B, K, 4-6-3 DP, R)
5a. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (F-9, P-6, 2B, RBI)
5b. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF: 1-2 (1B, P-1, R)
6. Anthony Giansanti, DH: 2-4 (BB, 1B, F-9, 1B, P-6, R, 2 RBI)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B-SS: 1-5 (6-4-3 DP, P-6, P-5, F-9, 1B, SB)
8a. Delbis Arcila, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
8b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (F-8 SF, K, RBI)
9. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-5 (P-6, K, 6-3, 3-U, 1B)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Brooks Raley: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 2 GIDP, 60 pitches (41 strikes), 6/5 GO/FO
2. Frank del Valle: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 44 pitches (31 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
3. John Gaub: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Starling Peralta: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (13 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. James Pugliese: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 15 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Paul Maholm: 5.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1 PO, 77 pitches (48 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Gerardo Concepcion: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 38 pitches (26 strikes), 6/2 GO/FO
3. Tayler Scott: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Joe Zeller: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 15 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
SQUAD ”A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 0-1 CS
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-4 CS
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
SS Javier Baez – E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70’s
John Arguello at Cubs Den with observations & photos from Tuesday's Cubs instructs intrasquad game:
Guess which one is Vogelberg
Bear fans are so impatient! They signed that great All-American QB out of Columbia--Luckman--just a little while ago, didn't they? Now it's the Eagles' turn. After all, it's been almost ten years since McNabb.
" . . . when he signed Edwin Jackson?"
He makes a lot of moves, people remember the ones that pan out. Kind of like MJ's approach to shooting. When it all shakes out, you get a formidable 25-man roster.
For the rookie hazing "dress up" day, the Mariners made him dress like the Farley Chippendales dancer.
Steven Matz to undergo “imminent” elbow surgery.
Just scroll by.
Pitchers are golfers
Getting tired of the caddy catcher excuse
Dan Vogelbach is working on his firstbase defense in Seattle. Seems to say the Cubs didn't teach him properly.
Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!
Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...
Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!
Dear Baseball Gods--
My trip to Chicago has nothing whatsoever to do with the Cubs. In actuality, I am a Red Sox fan.
Well, if Strop had to give up a run...at least he hit Sean Rodriguez to do it.