Cubs Minor League Recap for April 5, 2012

A screen grab from my First inning player page, keeping track of the players on my top 16 list.

As for the games, you can find the results here at their organizational page for the Cubs.

@Iowa 5 - Round Rock 3; Rizzo, Jackson, Campana with 2 hits each and a stolen base each. W. Castillo hit twice by a pitch and with a catcher's interference call against him. R. Wells started and got the win going 6 innings and giving up 3 runs. Corpas with 2 shutout innings and S. Maine with the save.

Tennessee 4 - @Chattanooga 1; N. Struck goes 6 IP, 10 K, 1 BB, 1 ER, 4 H; Adduci, Watkins, Ha and Bour with multi-hit games and Bour with a HR. F.Batista got the save(1 IP/1K/0 BB) and K. Rhoderick a hold (2 IP/2 K/0 BB).

@Brevard County 11 - Daytona 4; Cubs lose to Brewers prospect and #12 overall draftee from last season T. Jungmann; Torreyes, Silva and Alcantara with multi-hit games. Loosen, Wallach and Kirk all tagged for multiple runs.

Peoria 5 - @Beloit 2; M. Jensen throws 5 scoreless innings, K. Burke with a hold and J. Lorick goes 2 innings, gets 3 K's and the save. DeVoss was busy; 1/5 with 3 K's, 1 E and helped turn 2 double plays. Multi-hit games for W. Darvill and Pin-Chieh Chen. Chen tripled and had an outfield assist.

Comments

I had B Jackson leading the team in steals in the survey the other day, so they better get working on that Marlon Byrd trade. But I can wait a week. I see the I Cubs in Round Rock next week and I'd like to see him play first.

I believe that's the deal I suggested over the offseason. Not sure where Lannan fits at this point other than the pen, but his usefulness comes from his ability to pitch innings more than anything.

lannan fits as far away from the cubs as possible.

he gets a lot of positive press for a guy that makes paul maholm look awesome.

Well...he looks a lot like Maholm....meh. Whichever...pass.

Rob -- Thanks for these updates. I am a big fan of our minor league and, with the look of this year's Cubs, this might be the most exciting part of the season (at least until Jackson and Rizzo get to Chicago).

Does anyone know if the San Diego compensation has ever been completed? It was supposed to be before opening day.

Haven't heard anything official yet myself

Your firstinning account is looking much slimmer and more fit than mine.

I need to start trimming my roster.

I needed a cutoff, so top 16 seemed good enough. There's obviously a few interesting guys out there beyond that and I'll mention and add them as I see fit.

Justin Bour, for example, keeps enticing me to think he's someone worth watching although I should know better.

I had that same issue with Bour.

I think I'm at around 50 right now, which is just too much to keep track of in the time I have. I'll probably try to figure out who are the 20 or 25 guys I'm most interested in. I have some guys just because I want to see what they do and not because they are the most interesting prospects--Yao-Lin Wang and Logan Watkins are among that group. They make it hard to cut the numbers down, though, and then I come away from the site with nothing because it's just a jumble.

pardon me if I missed this, but where's Junior Lake and why didn't he play last night?

I think Ariz Phil said he was going to open the year on the 7 day DL with Tenn - back issues? can't remember the specific injury.

Fri, 04/06/2012 - 10:24am — Rob G.

=============================================

ROB G: Junior Lake is on the 7-day DL with a back strain.

I added a DL section to the TCR Depth Chart. yesterday.

---
Padres comp supposed to be done by April 15th but I might be crossing up my organizations and previous articles (Red Sox/Padres).

I found this older tweet from Feb 23rd, CBS/Scott Miller:

Scott [email protected]
Compensation from #Cubs to #Padres for Hoyer will be low-level minor leaguer aand probably happen late spring. Will be b4 opening day.

Supposedly Junior Lake is out with a bad back

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 7 hours 37 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 8 hours 6 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 15 hours 35 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 6 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 6 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 6 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view