Cubs Minor League Recap for April 6, 2012

I'd probably go Eric Jokisch and Arismendy Alcantara as your pitching and hitting stars of the day, both for Hi-A Daytona.

Round Rock 4 - @Iowa 3; Coleman gives up 4 earned runs over 5 innings, but does strikeout 5 without giving up a walk. Rizzo with two singles and an error. W. Castillo and B. Jackson have the only extra-base hits on the night for Iowa. Campana gets caught stealing but does get an outfield assist (and so you know, First Inning doesn't update the stolen base/caught stealings until the morning for some reason so they're not usually going to be reflected in the screen grab).

Tennessee 1 - @Chattanooga 0; Burgess goes yard with a solo shot and ends with two hits on the night, Watkins with the only other multi-hit game. Catcher Juan Apodeca walks twice. Combined shutout by McNutt (3.2 IP), Antigua (2.1 IP), A. Cabrera (2 IP) and F. Batista (1 IP whom also got his second save).

@Daytona 6 - Brevard County 2; Rubi Silva and Arismendy Alcantara both with three hits, Alcantara's included a 3-run HR and he had 4 RBI's total on the night. Silva did have two doubles. Jokisch goes 6 innings, giving up 2 ER, 4 H, 1 BB and 5 K. Tony Zych goes 2 innings for the save (1 H, 1 K, 0 BB).

@Beloit 6 - Peoria 1; Nothing interesting in the offensive box score with Eduardo Gonzalz having the only extra-base hit. Reggie Golden did steal a base. Patrick Francescon goes 4.1 IP with 9 K's, 0 BB, 2 H, 1 ER. Willengton Cruz is the dunce of the night giving up 4 ER on 0.2 IP including 2 BB's and 0 K's.

If anyone cares to volunteer to bring updates on the minors or post lineups next week, let me know. I'll be out on vacation, but can give you posting access. Some sort of familiarty with blogging or computers may help as I won't be near any type of reliable Internet access to assist in any way.

Comments

The Chicago Microbes National League Baseball Club?

Wow that is amazing. Had no idea . . .

So it looks like in the old days, reporters just named teams based on traits? That leaves a lot of opportunity for some not so good names for the modern edition, over the years.

2 walks in 2 games for Vitters?!

A fangraphs type of article in CCO regarding Dempster getting a free pass because of the wind on opening day

Eh, but that's Wrigley. Home runs get stolen by the wind all the time. I thought he pitched pretty well over all. We don't even know if he would have thrown a different pitch if the conditions were different. He probably wouldn't have, but we don't know.

Supposedly, with their penchant for analysis and stidy, the new management is up for the challenge of trying to do what no one else has been able to solve:

build a team to play to all types of conditions at Wrigley.

I think of Campana when the wind is blowing in, but honestly he would be a fantastic 25th guy on a team chock full of great players like the Carss, Rangers, etc.

Not on a team with mostly 25th guys.

It'd help if he could hit.

Here is the Sun-Times pic of Theo walking on water (that lead to Theo's quote: "I almost spit up my fruit loops when I saw that")

• j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er

zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8

heyward 0-4 :(

crunch 26 min 16 sec ago view
  • Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

• Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

• I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 4 hours 6 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

• Who's asking?

jacos 5 hours 51 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

Rob G. 6 hours 22 sec ago view
  • I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

• any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

• Rob Richardson 12 hours 12 min ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 14 hours 8 min ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 23 hours 38 min ago view
  • j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.

• Wow. I didn't know they could do that.

Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.

billybucks 1 day 2 min ago view
  • Game is officially called...also officially a tie.

Stats count, no make-up date of course.

Rob G. 1 day 3 min ago view
  • Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.

billybucks 1 day 50 min ago view