Late Dinger the Difference as Brewers Edge Cubs
Chris McFarland led-off the bottom of the 8th with a moon-shot solo home run over the LF fence and onto the roof of a portable classroom at Frank Borman Elementary School, breaking a 1-1 tie and giving his team the lead, as the Brewers scored one in the 7th and one in the 8th to edge the Cubs 2-1 in Opening Day Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #7 (Paul Molitor Field) at Maryvale Baseball Park in Phoenix, AZ.
Milwaukee’s 18th round pick in the 2011 June draft, McFarland received a $315K “overslot” bonus to give up a chance to play college ball at perennial NCAA powerhouse Rice University.
Rehabbing from June 2011 Tommy John Surgery, RHP Rob Whitenack got the start for the Cubs and threw a shutout inning (15 pitches), allowing two hits before getting out of the frame thanks to a timely 6-4-3 DP and a 5-3 GO.
20-year old Cuban defector LHP Gerardo Concepcion followed Whitenack to the mound and threw three shutout innings, showing an advanced feel for pitching to go along with a plus-curve, solid change, and outstanding control (75% strikes).
Although the Cubs scored only one run, they did have a plethora of baserunners during the course of the game. Gioskar Amaya, Jeimer Candelario, and Trey Martin reached base three times a piece (Amaya walked three times, Candelario tripled, singled, and walked, and Martin singled twice and doubled and stole two bases), but some bad baserunning at inopportune moments hurt the Cub cause.
The game was extended an extra three outs so that Felix Pena could get his pre-scheduled inning of work.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-4 (F-8, 1-3, 1B, 3-1, RBI)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-9, BB)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-3 (3-U, 1B, 3B, BB)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B-DH: 0-4 (K, 4-6-3 DP, 1-3, K)
5a. Javier Baez, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 2B, 2-5 FC, SB)
5b. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-1 (P-5)
6. Dan Vogelbach, DH-1B: 0-4 (P-6, K, 4-3, 6-3)
7a. Trey Martin, RF-DH: 3-3 (1B, 2B, 1B, 2 SB, PO)
7b. Neftali Rosario, PH: 0-1 (K)
8a. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-0 (BB, E2-CI, R)
8b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-2 (5-3, 5-3)
9. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 1-3)
10. Anthony Giansanti, DH-C: 1-2 (F-8, BB, 3B)
1. Rob Whitenack: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 15 pitches (11 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Gerardo Concepcion: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 36 pitches (27 strikes), 2/5 GO/FO
3. Frank del Valle: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 62 pitches (35 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. James Pugliese: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 27 pitches (14 strikes)
5. Felix Pena: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 11 pitches (9 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E-4 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
3. P Felix Pena - E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Anthony Giansanti: 3-5 CS
WEATHER: Mostly sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Lineup without You go, We go... probably just applying hamstring precautions
LaStella (2B), KB, Rizzo, Zobrist (RF), Contreras (LF), Heyward, Russell, Ross, Lester
Nathan up. Adam Warren to Iowa. Based on recent performance, I have no argument with that.
Ken Davidoff, NY Post...
I'm thinking mystery team is the Tigers or Giants
That's a hell of a first impression by Montgomery. Brian Cashman having a good laugh on that debut.
...and it's a 3 run homer.
hey, vogelbomb had a HR on his 1st game with SEA AAA, too!
montgomery comes on with men on 1st/2nd, 2 out, in the 8th.
I thought the same. It'd be great luck to face these non-contenders after the trade deadline.
...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?
2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.
nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.
Wow in deed.
Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game
He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.