Baez & Vogelbach Demolish Giants
Javier Baez slugged a three-run home run, tripled twice, drove-in four runs, and scored three more, Dan Vogelbach crushed a towering two-run home run over the RF screen and onto Camelback Road, and Garrett Schlecht blooped what proved to be a game-winning RBI single to short LF with two outs in the top of the 7th, as the Cubs swept the Giants by scores of 4-3 and 9-3 in an Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
San Francisco Giants 2B Freddie Sanchez (on a rehab assignment at Extended Spring Training) had an RBI double and scored a run for the Giants squad on Field #2, and Brian Nicholson pumped a two-run HR for the Giants squad on Field #1.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 0-4 (K, F-7, F-8, P-2)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-3 (3-1, 4-3, K)
3a. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, R, SB)
3b. Luis Acosta, PH: 0-1 (K)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (6-3, HR, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5a. Anthony Giansanti, DH #2: 0-2 (E-5, K)
5b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (F-7)
6. Danny Lockhart, SS: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B, R, SB)
7a. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (4-6-3 DP, 6-3)
7b. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-1 (6-3)
8. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-1 (BB, 1B, HBP, R)
9. Jeffrey Baez, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
10. Garrett Schlecht, DH #3: 1-2 (P-2, BB, 1B, RBI)
11a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: DID NOT BAT – PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
11b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Starling Peralta: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 42 pitches (24 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
3. Sheldon McDonald: 2.0 IP, 3 H 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 29 pitches (23 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Oliver Zapata, LF: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, F-7)
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (BB, F-9, 6-3, 5-3, R)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 3-1, BB, 2B, 2 R)
4. Javier Baez, SS: 3-4 (HR, 3B, 3B, F-7, 3 R, 4 RBI)
5. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, FC, P-6, R, RBI)
6. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (2B, BB, K, 2 R)
7. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, F-8 SF, K, 2 RBI)
8. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (P-2, F-9, P-4)
9. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 6-3)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-3 (2B, K, 3-U)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Tayler Scott: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (11 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Carlos Penalver – E-4 (fielding error on infield single allowed run to score)
WEATHER: Mostly sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.
Can't have everything, I guess.
i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.
Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.
Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...
Here's some defensive numbers:
- Crawford (22.2)
- Seager (16.9)
- Cozart (14.2)
- Hechavarria (13.5)
- Russell (12.4)
- B. Crawford 2.3
- Russell 2.0
- Hechavarria 1.7
- N. Ahmed 1.6
- Z. Cozart 1.5
13.C. Seager 0.7
.978 FP, 11 E, 333 A, 162 PO, 562 Chances, 4.27 RF, 72 DP Turned
Let me guess: Land of Contusion? Puppet Prez Reagan mistakenly blows the world up due to a bum thumb?
Favorite Genesis video
Twitterverse reporting that Almora's examination by a hand specialist went okay, it's still just a hand contusion.
Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna
You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.