Cubs Late Rally Tops Angels at Diablo
Dan Vogelbach, Danny Lockhart, and Xavier Batista drove-in the runs, as the Cubs rallied for two in the 8th and two more in the 9th to defeat the Angels 5-3 in Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
Cub pitchers threw 6.1 IP of no-hit ball before the Angels were able to register a safety, but the Angels did score a run without the benefit of a hit in both the bottom of the 3rd and the bottom of the 5th, thanks to six walks (including four consecutive two-out walks by Su-Min Jung in the 5th), two stolen bases, and a passed ball.
Cubs Player of the Game was Shawon Dunston Jr, who reached base three times on a triple, a single, and a walk, laid-down a picture perfect sacrifice bunt, and made an outstanding diving catch in LF for the first out in the bottom of the 8th after the Cubs had taken a 3-2 lead in the top of the frame.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 5-3, 1B, BB, F-8, R, CS)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 3-1, 1B)
2b. Wilfredo Petit, PH: 1-1 (1B)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, K, R)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, BB, 3-6-1 DP, 3-6 FC, 2 RBI)
5. Anthony Giansanti DH-C: 1-2 (1B, BB, BB, K)
6. Wilson Contreras, C-DH: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, K, E-3, R)
7. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF: 2-2 (3B, BB, 1B, 1-3 SH, CS)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (BB, F-9, F-9, F-9)
9. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (K, F-8, 4-3, 2B, R, RBI)
10a. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
10b. Xavier Batista, RF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
1. Ian Dickson: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (13 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 33 pitches (15 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Su-Min Jung: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 23 pitches (6 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
NOTE: 5th inning was stopped with bases loaded & two outs after Jung reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
4. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Wilson Contreras: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
2. Anthony Giansanti: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 60’s
he's destroying it for SD in the majors this year.
23.1ip 10h 11bb 33k
The Cubs had Ryan Buchter at AAA last year and he's death on lefties, but they let him walk away as a minor league FA post-2015.
f'real...didn't even streak or try to beat up a base coach or anything.
After the game, jacos was DFA'd. #nohelp
Richard proving once again that, if you are really bad, it doesn't matter which hand you throw with.
Maybe time to find out what we have in Edwards?
Oof -- ugly game at the plate and from the pen, which was the hero yesterday.
Sorry Jake -- you deserved better.
k.bryant playing SS...because fuck it, that's why.
g.soto is doing horrible in AAA...unfortunately.
unless they decide to bring up g.concepcion or make a trade we might have richard around a little longer.
...that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see him DFA'd after the game...the "lefty specialist" just let 3 lefties in a row get on base. ugg.
Ahhh Richard with your 6.00+ ERA as a short reliever...
You ain't gonna be on no Playoff roster.
I'll give this to Richard: he looks the part of a good pitcher, straight out of central casting. It's a shame he struggles with the getting guys out part of the game.
Didn't take Richard long. He is an absolute disaster.
Thru seven innings the Cubs have more errors than hits and Zobrist has struck out 3 times. And now Richard is pitching.
These things do not add up to victory
It was from about 15 years ago
Guess I was on tv
Vin Scully sang the seventh-inning stretch. Along with all the great things he is known for, he can sing! He sounded like Willie Nelson out there. And he gave a nice shout-out to Harry. What a class guy.
I'm thinking Kazmir did not get the memo he was supposed to pitch like a tomato can tonight. Jeesh