Cubs Late Rally Tops Angels at Diablo
Dan Vogelbach, Danny Lockhart, and Xavier Batista drove-in the runs, as the Cubs rallied for two in the 8th and two more in the 9th to defeat the Angels 5-3 in Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
Cub pitchers threw 6.1 IP of no-hit ball before the Angels were able to register a safety, but the Angels did score a run without the benefit of a hit in both the bottom of the 3rd and the bottom of the 5th, thanks to six walks (including four consecutive two-out walks by Su-Min Jung in the 5th), two stolen bases, and a passed ball.
Cubs Player of the Game was Shawon Dunston Jr, who reached base three times on a triple, a single, and a walk, laid-down a picture perfect sacrifice bunt, and made an outstanding diving catch in LF for the first out in the bottom of the 8th after the Cubs had taken a 3-2 lead in the top of the frame.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 5-3, 1B, BB, F-8, R, CS)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 3-1, 1B)
2b. Wilfredo Petit, PH: 1-1 (1B)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, K, R)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, BB, 3-6-1 DP, 3-6 FC, 2 RBI)
5. Anthony Giansanti DH-C: 1-2 (1B, BB, BB, K)
6. Wilson Contreras, C-DH: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, K, E-3, R)
7. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF: 2-2 (3B, BB, 1B, 1-3 SH, CS)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (BB, F-9, F-9, F-9)
9. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (K, F-8, 4-3, 2B, R, RBI)
10a. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
10b. Xavier Batista, RF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
1. Ian Dickson: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (13 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 33 pitches (15 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Su-Min Jung: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 23 pitches (6 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
NOTE: 5th inning was stopped with bases loaded & two outs after Jung reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
4. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Wilson Contreras: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
2. Anthony Giansanti: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 60’s
Edit: now word he was a late scratch due to a "headache". Hmmm
Just had to ask, I guess.
Haven't had a big comeback win in a long time (at least it seems like a long time). Great feeling!
Rizzo should hold clinics on 2-strike hitting. Awesome.
cubs lead in the top 7th!
triple, walk, domination
And he gets out of it by K-ing Braun, Lucroy and Carter!
Let's get some runs!
welcome to the cubs j.nathan.
2 pitches into the inning and there's a guy on 3rd with 0 outs (triple).
his velocity is hanging around 91/92mph.
Always a good idea to bring in Richard against a LH batter.
a.russell out and down into the clubhouse...no one knows why.
it's very hot on the field, so it might be heat related.
I blame the All-Star game again, or else Michael Barrett.
Miller park roof is closing. Hmmm, might play differently now?
Lester at 72 pitches through 3. Roof closing might get him through 6.
Middlebrows pulls a calf or hamstring. Len says he blew a tire rounding 1st. Nieuwenhuis enters game.
Now roof opening. Dizziness. No AC in the ballpark wrt the field.
just to lighten the mood:
Shark's day: 5.2 IP 5 Runs (all earned), 8 Hits, 2 HR. Left the game down 5-0 to Yankees.
Anyone expecting game 4 NLCS Shark vs Hammel or Lackey?
First inning: two on, no out, Rizz and Zobrist due up. Don't score.
Third inning: two on, one out, KB and Rizz due up. Don't score.
This is getting' old, fellahs.
KB still with ZERO RBI since the A/S break. Ouch.
62 through 2ip...yow.
it's an off day for d.ross, too. the wild pitch + passed ball in 2 separate strike 3 calls allowing the runner to reach 1st and the 5sb through 2ip makes for a bad game so far. ross cant shoulder any blame for some of those SBs, especially that villar steal of 3rd while lester watched him.