Cubs Late Rally Tops Angels at Diablo
Dan Vogelbach, Danny Lockhart, and Xavier Batista drove-in the runs, as the Cubs rallied for two in the 8th and two more in the 9th to defeat the Angels 5-3 in Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
Cub pitchers threw 6.1 IP of no-hit ball before the Angels were able to register a safety, but the Angels did score a run without the benefit of a hit in both the bottom of the 3rd and the bottom of the 5th, thanks to six walks (including four consecutive two-out walks by Su-Min Jung in the 5th), two stolen bases, and a passed ball.
Cubs Player of the Game was Shawon Dunston Jr, who reached base three times on a triple, a single, and a walk, laid-down a picture perfect sacrifice bunt, and made an outstanding diving catch in LF for the first out in the bottom of the 8th after the Cubs had taken a 3-2 lead in the top of the frame.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 5-3, 1B, BB, F-8, R, CS)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 3-1, 1B)
2b. Wilfredo Petit, PH: 1-1 (1B)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, K, R)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, BB, 3-6-1 DP, 3-6 FC, 2 RBI)
5. Anthony Giansanti DH-C: 1-2 (1B, BB, BB, K)
6. Wilson Contreras, C-DH: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, K, E-3, R)
7. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF: 2-2 (3B, BB, 1B, 1-3 SH, CS)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (BB, F-9, F-9, F-9)
9. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (K, F-8, 4-3, 2B, R, RBI)
10a. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
10b. Xavier Batista, RF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
1. Ian Dickson: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (13 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 33 pitches (15 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Su-Min Jung: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 23 pitches (6 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
NOTE: 5th inning was stopped with bases loaded & two outs after Jung reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
4. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Wilson Contreras: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
2. Anthony Giansanti: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 60’s
watching a game on ESPN is one of the worst things a fan of whatever team is on the field can do...this is, once again, turrible.
I'll put pix on Twitter
Actually behind press box
Yeah great tix
Looks like Bryan Hudson is the new Randy Johnson: his height will always be part of his name.
Seriously? Envious. Enjoy the game!
Working through the evening, so no recappage, but hope people will come cheer on the Cubs in Parachat.
I'm sitting behind Cubs dugout near the end
Wearing Cubs visor
Brewers just claimed him
Before Wood,Strop, Rondon yesterday
Elias: 99 yrs. since a bullpen threw at least 7 perfect innings. last time 6/23/17 by Boston. Ernie Shore retired last 26 after Babe Ruth ejected for arguing balls and strikes after walking lead off hitter. Runner was caught stealing.
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not ten days including the day the player was Designated for Assignment, it's ten day from the day the player was Designated for Assignment.
So because Neil Ramirez was Designated for Assignment on 5/21, the deadline to either assign the player to another club (MLB or minor league) or release the player is 5/31 (today).
AZBOBBOP: No updates.
Phil, any updates on eight Oscar de la Cruz or Luis Hernandez?
One miscommunication in outfield and the Cubs would have another no hitter
Bruce Levine [email protected]
Sex Fowler out with sore heel
Pretty epic nickname
Mike Olt lives!
Screw the closer.
He's had so few save opportunities that it might be difficult for him to get the All Star nod but Rondon has an absolutely ridiculous 1.05 ERA and 1.06 FIP after this game so far (and I think his worst outing was in the 10th inning non save situation) so I do absolutely think he is worth considering.