Cubs Late Rally Tops Angels at Diablo
Dan Vogelbach, Danny Lockhart, and Xavier Batista drove-in the runs, as the Cubs rallied for two in the 8th and two more in the 9th to defeat the Angels 5-3 in Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
Cub pitchers threw 6.1 IP of no-hit ball before the Angels were able to register a safety, but the Angels did score a run without the benefit of a hit in both the bottom of the 3rd and the bottom of the 5th, thanks to six walks (including four consecutive two-out walks by Su-Min Jung in the 5th), two stolen bases, and a passed ball.
Cubs Player of the Game was Shawon Dunston Jr, who reached base three times on a triple, a single, and a walk, laid-down a picture perfect sacrifice bunt, and made an outstanding diving catch in LF for the first out in the bottom of the 8th after the Cubs had taken a 3-2 lead in the top of the frame.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 5-3, 1B, BB, F-8, R, CS)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 3-1, 1B)
2b. Wilfredo Petit, PH: 1-1 (1B)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, K, R)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, BB, 3-6-1 DP, 3-6 FC, 2 RBI)
5. Anthony Giansanti DH-C: 1-2 (1B, BB, BB, K)
6. Wilson Contreras, C-DH: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, K, E-3, R)
7. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF: 2-2 (3B, BB, 1B, 1-3 SH, CS)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (BB, F-9, F-9, F-9)
9. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (K, F-8, 4-3, 2B, R, RBI)
10a. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
10b. Xavier Batista, RF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
1. Ian Dickson: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (13 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 33 pitches (15 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Su-Min Jung: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 23 pitches (6 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
NOTE: 5th inning was stopped with bases loaded & two outs after Jung reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
4. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Wilson Contreras: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
2. Anthony Giansanti: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 60’s
RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.
Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?
Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.
If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."