Cubs Late Rally Tops Angels at Diablo
Dan Vogelbach, Danny Lockhart, and Xavier Batista drove-in the runs, as the Cubs rallied for two in the 8th and two more in the 9th to defeat the Angels 5-3 in Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
Cub pitchers threw 6.1 IP of no-hit ball before the Angels were able to register a safety, but the Angels did score a run without the benefit of a hit in both the bottom of the 3rd and the bottom of the 5th, thanks to six walks (including four consecutive two-out walks by Su-Min Jung in the 5th), two stolen bases, and a passed ball.
Cubs Player of the Game was Shawon Dunston Jr, who reached base three times on a triple, a single, and a walk, laid-down a picture perfect sacrifice bunt, and made an outstanding diving catch in LF for the first out in the bottom of the 8th after the Cubs had taken a 3-2 lead in the top of the frame.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 5-3, 1B, BB, F-8, R, CS)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 3-1, 1B)
2b. Wilfredo Petit, PH: 1-1 (1B)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, K, R)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, BB, 3-6-1 DP, 3-6 FC, 2 RBI)
5. Anthony Giansanti DH-C: 1-2 (1B, BB, BB, K)
6. Wilson Contreras, C-DH: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, K, E-3, R)
7. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF: 2-2 (3B, BB, 1B, 1-3 SH, CS)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (BB, F-9, F-9, F-9)
9. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (K, F-8, 4-3, 2B, R, RBI)
10a. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
10b. Xavier Batista, RF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
1. Ian Dickson: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (13 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 33 pitches (15 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Su-Min Jung: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 23 pitches (6 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
NOTE: 5th inning was stopped with bases loaded & two outs after Jung reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
4. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Wilson Contreras: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
2. Anthony Giansanti: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 60’s
RVIMPENY: It's raining today so the Cubs will probably play intrasquad game(s) tomorrow and/or Saturday, but it's pretty much a day-to-day proposition, and a lot of times it's decided at the last minute.
Best bet is to check in at Riverview in the morning and ask somebody what's going on that day.
Thanks Phil, I had the Salt River chart, but based on that, it looks like they hardly play and was not on the Surprise on 9/28...I assume they do not really want fans there anyway? Do you know if they play today, Friday or Sat? Sorry to be a pain, but I am only here until Sunday.
John Arguello at Cubs Den with observations & photos from Tuesday's Cubs instructs intrasquad game:
Guess which one is Vogelberg
Bear fans are so impatient! They signed that great All-American QB out of Columbia--Luckman--just a little while ago, didn't they? Now it's the Eagles' turn. After all, it's been almost ten years since McNabb.
" . . . when he signed Edwin Jackson?"
He makes a lot of moves, people remember the ones that pan out. Kind of like MJ's approach to shooting. When it all shakes out, you get a formidable 25-man roster.
For the rookie hazing "dress up" day, the Mariners made him dress like the Farley Chippendales dancer.
Steven Matz to undergo “imminent” elbow surgery.
Just scroll by.
Pitchers are golfers
Getting tired of the caddy catcher excuse
Dan Vogelbach is working on his firstbase defense in Seattle. Seems to say the Cubs didn't teach him properly.
Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!
Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...
Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!