LaHair's grand slam made it by a hair.

When the Chicago Cubs were up 9 (nine!) to nothin' over the St. Louis Cardinals, the best word I could come up with was "exotic".

Because that's how it felt.
Two days in a row of massive Cub bat-damage?
That's like being on some island in National Geographic where the lizards all have fur and bring you rum drinks.

Luckily the game was delayed by rain so's I could hear some on the radio while driving home, and LaHair's Grand Salami happened about a minute after I turned it on.
Neither Pat Hughes or Keith Moreland thought it was going out, and both sounded surprised that it did which actually made for a kinda cool radio moment. And I thought man if I was on the radio right now I'd say, "That grand slam by LaHair made it by a hair!" and the audience could collectively groan yet maybe remember that moment a little clearer.
Which, HEY! I kinda did here, right?

And I'm making a new window/flower box for the front of the house, so I continued with the radio while sanding and got all nervous with the rest of you when Samardzija gave up that batch of runs and even though the bullpen's been kinda scary I was thinkin', "HEY SVEUM PUT SOMEBODY IN."

But Samardzija goes 5, then Dolis-Russel-Wood-Marmol all worked perfectly.
I even saw the Marmol part, and he looked great (struck out 2!).

I didn't mention that Ian Stewart banged a 3-runner out too.

Cubs 9 Cards 5.

The whole deal was the opposite of what you expected, which happens ALL THE TIME in the Greatest Rivalry in Sports.

Today at noon Central it's Chris Volstad vs. that guy who took Chris Carpenter's place, Lance Lynn.
Lance won his first game, and I'd appreciate it if they didn't have their own version of Lynn-sanity in St. Louis.
Also, I read some thing about the entire Midwest being under some kind of Horrible Weather warning, with conditions that probably will create angst and havoc and hopefully not tornadoes (or a rain delay in St. Louis).

Go Cubs!

Comments

Someone else said it in previous post, but I would rather watch this team develop then some of the overpayed crap we have trotted out lately.

Move Byrd, Dejesus in CF, Sori in Right, LaHair in lf and bring up rizzo.

As much as I've always opposed Soriano since his signing, he seems to have changed something. That diving catch he made, though it looked bad, was really a pretty good play with the way the ball was twisting in the air. Since he is the poster child of our over-payed crap, if he can do something good on this team it would be a huge bonus to us.

He looks much much more confident. He also looks like he's taking a little pride in defense--like he thinks catching the ball matters. Bob talked about him working on being "aggressive" on defense.

He has the look of a man determined to be traded to a real baseball team.

He's actually been tracking the ball pretty well when I've had to chance to watch him. Even his approach at the plate seems different. If he is determined to answer his critics, good for him. I'd love to see him make a point. Hell, I've even seen him make contact on stuff he didn't use to make contact on. And lay off some stuff he was swinging at.

But a week doesn't a season make. I'm skeptical, but strangely hopeful.

Rain Delay about to end, Pat Hughes giving the lineups on WGN radio (2 pm cst)

• Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.

Can't have everything, I guess.

The E-Man 1 hour 11 min ago view
  • i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.

Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.

John Beasley 2 hours 2 min ago view
  • Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...

Here's some defensive numbers:

.....

13.C. Seager 0.7

Traditional stats

Crawford

.978 FP, 11 E, 333 A, 162 PO, 562 Chances, 4.27 RF, 72 DP Turned

Russell

• Let me guess: Land of Contusion? Puppet Prez Reagan mistakenly blows the world up due to a bum thumb?

Eric S 5 hours 30 min ago view
  • Favorite Genesis video

jacos 6 hours 26 sec ago view
  • Twitterverse reporting that Almora's examination by a hand specialist went okay, it's still just a hand contusion.

Eric S 6 hours 39 min ago view
  • Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.

Gonzalez and Morrison also honored.

VirginiaPhil 11 hours 59 min ago view
  • QuietMan 22 hours 11 min ago view
  • FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.

JoePepitone 1 day 45 min ago view
  • Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Jackstraw 1 day 57 min ago view
  • White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo

jacos 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."

i chose the classy route.

crunch 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ good shit goเฑฆิ sHit๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some good๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œshit right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ rightโœ”there โœ”โœ”if i do ฦฝaาฏ so my self ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: สณแถฆแตสฐแต— แต—สฐแต‰สณแต‰) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ euphoric logic !euphoric loGic๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some euphoric๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ป logic right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ปthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ Carl ๐Ÿ”ญ Sagan๐ŸŒŒ๐Ÿ’ซif i do ฦฝaาฏ so gentlemen ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats euPhoric logic right there Richard ๐Ÿ“’ Dawkins๐ŸŽฉ (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘“๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œeuphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ john cena JOhN cEna

crunch 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.

The E-Man 1 day 3 hours ago view