LaHair's grand slam made it by a hair.

When the Chicago Cubs were up 9 (nine!) to nothin' over the St. Louis Cardinals, the best word I could come up with was "exotic".

Because that's how it felt.
Two days in a row of massive Cub bat-damage?
That's like being on some island in National Geographic where the lizards all have fur and bring you rum drinks.

Luckily the game was delayed by rain so's I could hear some on the radio while driving home, and LaHair's Grand Salami happened about a minute after I turned it on.
Neither Pat Hughes or Keith Moreland thought it was going out, and both sounded surprised that it did which actually made for a kinda cool radio moment. And I thought man if I was on the radio right now I'd say, "That grand slam by LaHair made it by a hair!" and the audience could collectively groan yet maybe remember that moment a little clearer.
Which, HEY! I kinda did here, right?

And I'm making a new window/flower box for the front of the house, so I continued with the radio while sanding and got all nervous with the rest of you when Samardzija gave up that batch of runs and even though the bullpen's been kinda scary I was thinkin', "HEY SVEUM PUT SOMEBODY IN."

But Samardzija goes 5, then Dolis-Russel-Wood-Marmol all worked perfectly.
I even saw the Marmol part, and he looked great (struck out 2!).

I didn't mention that Ian Stewart banged a 3-runner out too.

Cubs 9 Cards 5.

The whole deal was the opposite of what you expected, which happens ALL THE TIME in the Greatest Rivalry in Sports.

Today at noon Central it's Chris Volstad vs. that guy who took Chris Carpenter's place, Lance Lynn.
Lance won his first game, and I'd appreciate it if they didn't have their own version of Lynn-sanity in St. Louis.
Also, I read some thing about the entire Midwest being under some kind of Horrible Weather warning, with conditions that probably will create angst and havoc and hopefully not tornadoes (or a rain delay in St. Louis).

Go Cubs!

Comments

Someone else said it in previous post, but I would rather watch this team develop then some of the overpayed crap we have trotted out lately.

Move Byrd, Dejesus in CF, Sori in Right, LaHair in lf and bring up rizzo.

As much as I've always opposed Soriano since his signing, he seems to have changed something. That diving catch he made, though it looked bad, was really a pretty good play with the way the ball was twisting in the air. Since he is the poster child of our over-payed crap, if he can do something good on this team it would be a huge bonus to us.

He looks much much more confident. He also looks like he's taking a little pride in defense--like he thinks catching the ball matters. Bob talked about him working on being "aggressive" on defense.

He has the look of a man determined to be traded to a real baseball team.

He's actually been tracking the ball pretty well when I've had to chance to watch him. Even his approach at the plate seems different. If he is determined to answer his critics, good for him. I'd love to see him make a point. Hell, I've even seen him make contact on stuff he didn't use to make contact on. And lay off some stuff he was swinging at.

But a week doesn't a season make. I'm skeptical, but strangely hopeful.

Rain Delay about to end, Pat Hughes giving the lineups on WGN radio (2 pm cst)

• video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

• from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

• great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

• If all the starters have FIP > ERA, is that luck or good defense?

Craig A. 14 hours 50 min ago view
  • #Cubs plummet to 19-5 in August.

Fun with FIP

• J. Hammel   3.07 ERA/4.27 FIP (3.68 FIP last year)
    • J. Arrieta     2.62 ERA/3.05 FIP (2.35 FIP last year)
    • J. Lester     2.81 ERA/3.67 FIP (2.92 FIP last year)
    • K. Hendricks  2.19 ERA/3.37 FIP (3.36 FIP last year)
    • J. Lackey     3.41 ERA/3.72 FIP (3.57 FIP last year with Cards)
  • zastyryzryzryzny put in 3.2ip 1h 0bb 3k

he's great when his control is "on"...problem is it's rarely "on" consistently. he could vault up the cubs prospect list if he ever gets better with that aspect of his game.

• JD's take was just trying to get in a lefty to better deal with mostly lefty Dodgers lineup.

My second thought was what you came up with. My first thought was he was trying to light a fire under Hammel.

Jackstraw 17 hours 8 min ago view
  • Maybe he was trying to spare him another brutal road start? NY, Colorado...

• joe got a pitcher up for hammel at nearly the 1st sign of trouble in the 3rd...pulled after 2.1

not injured and though it wasn't his day so far he wasn't looking like a pure disaster.

really short leash on him. zastryznzryzryny in.

• Russell and Soler can attest that Urias has a pretty good curve/slider - two big strikeouts looking to get out of that jam in the first.

Eric S 18 hours 13 min ago view
  • Classic Scully - great stuff.

Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)

Eric S 23 hours 4 min ago view
  • Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:

"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."

VirginiaPhil 1 day 18 min ago view
  • When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.

VirginiaPhil 1 day 22 min ago view
  • If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.

Jackstraw 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.

crunch 1 day 8 hours ago view