LaHair's grand slam made it by a hair.

When the Chicago Cubs were up 9 (nine!) to nothin' over the St. Louis Cardinals, the best word I could come up with was "exotic".

Because that's how it felt.
Two days in a row of massive Cub bat-damage?
That's like being on some island in National Geographic where the lizards all have fur and bring you rum drinks.

Luckily the game was delayed by rain so's I could hear some on the radio while driving home, and LaHair's Grand Salami happened about a minute after I turned it on.
Neither Pat Hughes or Keith Moreland thought it was going out, and both sounded surprised that it did which actually made for a kinda cool radio moment. And I thought man if I was on the radio right now I'd say, "That grand slam by LaHair made it by a hair!" and the audience could collectively groan yet maybe remember that moment a little clearer.
Which, HEY! I kinda did here, right?

And I'm making a new window/flower box for the front of the house, so I continued with the radio while sanding and got all nervous with the rest of you when Samardzija gave up that batch of runs and even though the bullpen's been kinda scary I was thinkin', "HEY SVEUM PUT SOMEBODY IN."

But Samardzija goes 5, then Dolis-Russel-Wood-Marmol all worked perfectly.
I even saw the Marmol part, and he looked great (struck out 2!).

I didn't mention that Ian Stewart banged a 3-runner out too.

Cubs 9 Cards 5.

The whole deal was the opposite of what you expected, which happens ALL THE TIME in the Greatest Rivalry in Sports.

Today at noon Central it's Chris Volstad vs. that guy who took Chris Carpenter's place, Lance Lynn.
Lance won his first game, and I'd appreciate it if they didn't have their own version of Lynn-sanity in St. Louis.
Also, I read some thing about the entire Midwest being under some kind of Horrible Weather warning, with conditions that probably will create angst and havoc and hopefully not tornadoes (or a rain delay in St. Louis).

Go Cubs!

Comments

Someone else said it in previous post, but I would rather watch this team develop then some of the overpayed crap we have trotted out lately.

Move Byrd, Dejesus in CF, Sori in Right, LaHair in lf and bring up rizzo.

As much as I've always opposed Soriano since his signing, he seems to have changed something. That diving catch he made, though it looked bad, was really a pretty good play with the way the ball was twisting in the air. Since he is the poster child of our over-payed crap, if he can do something good on this team it would be a huge bonus to us.

He looks much much more confident. He also looks like he's taking a little pride in defense--like he thinks catching the ball matters. Bob talked about him working on being "aggressive" on defense.

He has the look of a man determined to be traded to a real baseball team.

He's actually been tracking the ball pretty well when I've had to chance to watch him. Even his approach at the plate seems different. If he is determined to answer his critics, good for him. I'd love to see him make a point. Hell, I've even seen him make contact on stuff he didn't use to make contact on. And lay off some stuff he was swinging at.

But a week doesn't a season make. I'm skeptical, but strangely hopeful.

Rain Delay about to end, Pat Hughes giving the lineups on WGN radio (2 pm cst)

• In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.

johann 1 hour 33 min ago view
  • Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?

• 34-14...awww yeah.

• Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]

Eric S 4 hours 26 min ago view
  • ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.

cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/

crunch 5 hours 46 sec ago view
  • HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.

Arizona Phil 7 hours 56 min ago view
  • ERIC S: Best outing I've ever seen from Manny Rondon, and I've seen most of his outings since the Cubs got him from the Angels.

M. Rondon is competing with six others (Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Erling Moreno) for a starting slot at Eugene, and (as you can probably tell from the EXST box scores)  the competition has gotten fierce over the last couple of weeks, With the exception of Moreno, the Eugene SP candidates have upped their game lately, and M. Rondon's outing yesterday was especially impressive/dominating.

Arizona Phil 7 hours 59 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Pierce Johnsion was mixing a 92-94 MPH fastball with a plus-change-up AND curve, and he threw strike-after-strike-after-strike with all three of his pitches. I believe that was the best command and pitch-efficiency I've ever seen from Johnson, who often pitches from behind in the count and issues too many walks.

Of course now he has to avoid a recurrence of the lat strain (whch he has had previously in his career) as well as all of the other miscellaneous physical problems he's had over the last three years (hamstring, quad, back, etc).

Arizona Phil 8 hours 9 min ago view
  • PHIL: Any movement on P. Johnsons pitches? What was his "out" pitch? I know he was working on a 4th pitch, so wondering what he is looking like these days. Thanks.

• AZ Phil, has Nathan showed up in Mesa yet? Thanks.

Hagsag 13 hours 37 min ago view
  • Eickhoff looks like a good young pitcher. Lets steal him!

Hagsag 13 hours 38 min ago view
  • Manny Rondon faced 13 batters ... and got 10 to K. Not a bad day's work.

Eric S 23 hours 19 min ago view
  • With several other Cubs hitters bailing out on curves today I think overall it wasn't being seen well. It for sure looked silly but a good breaking pitch coming at you and then breaking down isn't the easiest thing to see and has made many hitters look silly. Also Soler should have more walks this year but for quite a few called strikes that were actual balls and even the called strike he bailed on was borderline.

johann 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • it's not like we're talking about a guy who's never had issues with pitch selection and seeing the ball over here. we're talking about a guy who has some rather legendary swing-and-misses at breaking stuff who's been exploited low. going forward it's worth paying attention to seeing if he can be exploited inside, too. he seriously bailed out of the box on a called strike. sure it was a good curve, but he obviously didn't see that well at all.

crunch 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • It would seem like he is figuring it out now and it's really coming together. Really happy for him. Joe was really protecting him from the 3rd time through the order, but as you allude to, he is earning trust to go deeper.

Wondering if has potential to become a #3 pitcher? His current stats certainly support it.

The E-Man 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • That doesn't count b/c CRUNCH didn't see it on his 60" HDTV 5 times in replay.

I have seen many players "bail out" when the ball looked like it was gonna hit them.

Especially with the advent of the splitter and pitchers that can really get the ball to dance. Marmol, Sutter, Pedro Martinez, Curt Schilling, Derek Lowe, Smoltz, Arrietta...

These guys have made the best bail out only for the ball to come over the plate and be called a strike.

No shame in that. The same way players whiff hard enough to cause them to drill a hole in the ground from spinning.

The E-Man 1 day 2 hours ago view