Baez Hits for the Cycle at Diablo
Javier Baez hit for the cycle and drove-in all five Cub runs with a two-run triple and a three-run home run, but the Angels rallied for five runs in the middle-three innings to edge the Cubs 6-5, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
In addition to his big day at the plate, Baez also stole a base (3rd base following his double) and made the defensive Play of the Day, going deep into the hole to backhand a grounder headed for LF, and then nailing the out with a leap and an on-the-money throw to 1st.
In his first four Extended Spring Training games, Baez is 9-15 with three three-run home runs, three triples, two doubles, and a single, and in his last game prior to the start of Extended Spring Training, Baez clubbed a two-run HR off Paul Maholm in an intrasquad game at Fitch Park.
Today's game was extended an extra inning so that all of the Cubs and Angels pitchers who were scheduled to throw today could get their work.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1a. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF: 1-2 (K, 2B, R)
1b. Jeffrey Baez, PH-LF: 0-1 (6-3)
1c. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (F-8, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B-DH: 2-4 (BB, 1B, K, 1B, P-4, 2 R)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-4 (BB, F-9, 6-3, K, K, R)
4. Javier Baez, SS: 4-5 (3B, HR, 2B, 1B, K, R, 5 RBI, SB)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, BB, K)
6. Trey Martin, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, P-4, 3-1)
7. Neftali Rosario, DH-C: 0-4 (P-4, K, 5-3, F-9)
8. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-4 (6-3, K, K, 1B)
9. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 3-4 (F-8, 1B, 1B, 1B)
10. Brian Inoa, DH-2B: 0-4 (K, K, 5-3, K)
1. Tayler Scott: 2.1, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 51 pitches (25 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (26 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Brian Smith: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 33 pitches (19 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 27 pitches (19 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
5. Charles Thomas: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (13 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
SS Javier Baez - E-6 (errant throw allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 2-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Trey Martin - threw out batter-runner 8-3 after batter singled to CF and then took too wide of a turn around 1st base
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy at times with temperatures in the 70’s
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.
Eh, I read it as tongue-planted-firmly-in-cheek. VEB seems to have good heads on their shoulders.