Cubs Play to Win (and Also to Tie) at Indian School Park
Starling Peralta threw three perfect innings and Wilson Contreras, Kevin Encarnacion, and Garrett Schlecht smacked run-scoring hits in a five-run 7th, as one squad of Cubs rallied from a 5-0 deficit to tie the Giants 5-5 on Field #1, while meanwhile three pitchers were combining to throw a two-hitter on Field #2 as the other squad of Cubs edged the Giants 2-1, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Javier Baez went 0-2, both towering fly balls to LF. One was dropped by the left-fielder for a two-base error, and Baez would come around to score later in the inning on a throwing error by the Giants first-baseman as Baez was taking 3rd base (after initially holding at 2nd) on a 5-3 GO.
RHP Su-Min Jung continues to struggle with "Steve Blass Disease," as he once again was unable to finish an inning. In his first two EXST appearances (1.1 IP), Jung has walked seven (51 pitches - only 17 strikes).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, F-7)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 4-6-3 DP, F-9)
3. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, 4-3)
4. Jair Bogaerts, DH #2: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, R)
5. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-2 (K, L-7, BB, R)
6a. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
6b. Luis Acosta, 2B: 0-0 (BB, R)
7a. Wilfredo Petit, C: LEFT GAME WITH SHOULDER INJURY PRIOR TO FIRST AB
7b. Wilson Contreras, C: 2-3 (1B, 1-6 FC, 2B, R, 2 RBI, 2 SB, PO)
8. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (1-3, 5-3, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, RBI)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, P-6)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Starling Peralta: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1 PO, 42 pitches (23 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Su-Min Jung: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 28 pitches (11 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 2:
1. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 1-3, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, L-9)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (F-7, E-7, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-2 (F-7, 5-3)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 3-U, R)
6. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-2 (F-8, 1-3)
9. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 1-2 (1B, K)
10. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
11a. Delbis Arcila, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (F-8)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 45 pitches (32 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (10 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Roderik Pichardo: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (13 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
1B Rock Shoulders – E-3 (missed catch on what should have been a 6-3 GO allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Didn't see the game, but it sounded like the Cubs gave away 2 runs with poor fielding. Bummer.
Well, it's been a fun diet of Reds, Brewers and Braves, but now the Cubs have to play real teams in May (Pirates, Nationals, SF, Cards and Dodgers) -- hope we are all still smiling when we wake up on Memorial Day.
He does seem out of synch. His body seems to start forward, then his arms sort of try to catch up -- if that's his normal swing, he will never hit for power. It's an all-arms slasher swing, but the timing seems off.
He is currently slugging .256 -- I realize the weather has been bad, but that's epically bad. Currently 92nd out of 94 qualified NL batters. Yikes.
Weird home stand -- 3-1, with 2 rainouts, vs. two teams that will lose 100 games. Feels oddly disappointing.
Miserable baseball weather all week -- hopefully better weather will get the bats going. Not just walking, but actually hitting.
That strike call on LaSterlla was terrible
I was hearing some talk that John Mallee is trying to change Heyward's swing. Wonder if that is lending itself to the slow start.
at least it wasn't a "nobody showed up" stomping.
anytime you wanna jumpstart your season would be nice, heyward.
Now looming VERY large. Game tied.
That Braves TOOTBLAN trying to stretch a double into a triple is looming very large.
Phil, do you know if Victorino has an opt out date approaching? Thanks.
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.