Cubs Play to Win (and Also to Tie) at Indian School Park
Starling Peralta threw three perfect innings and Wilson Contreras, Kevin Encarnacion, and Garrett Schlecht smacked run-scoring hits in a five-run 7th, as one squad of Cubs rallied from a 5-0 deficit to tie the Giants 5-5 on Field #1, while meanwhile three pitchers were combining to throw a two-hitter on Field #2 as the other squad of Cubs edged the Giants 2-1, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Javier Baez went 0-2, both towering fly balls to LF. One was dropped by the left-fielder for a two-base error, and Baez would come around to score later in the inning on a throwing error by the Giants first-baseman as Baez was taking 3rd base (after initially holding at 2nd) on a 5-3 GO.
RHP Su-Min Jung continues to struggle with "Steve Blass Disease," as he once again was unable to finish an inning. In his first two EXST appearances (1.1 IP), Jung has walked seven (51 pitches - only 17 strikes).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, F-7)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 4-6-3 DP, F-9)
3. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, 4-3)
4. Jair Bogaerts, DH #2: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, R)
5. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-2 (K, L-7, BB, R)
6a. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
6b. Luis Acosta, 2B: 0-0 (BB, R)
7a. Wilfredo Petit, C: LEFT GAME WITH SHOULDER INJURY PRIOR TO FIRST AB
7b. Wilson Contreras, C: 2-3 (1B, 1-6 FC, 2B, R, 2 RBI, 2 SB, PO)
8. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (1-3, 5-3, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, RBI)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, P-6)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Starling Peralta: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1 PO, 42 pitches (23 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Su-Min Jung: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 28 pitches (11 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 2:
1. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 1-3, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, L-9)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (F-7, E-7, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-2 (F-7, 5-3)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 3-U, R)
6. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-2 (F-8, 1-3)
9. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 1-2 (1B, K)
10. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
11a. Delbis Arcila, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (F-8)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 45 pitches (32 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (10 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Roderik Pichardo: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (13 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
1B Rock Shoulders – E-3 (missed catch on what should have been a 6-3 GO allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
On the other hand, Pries won his first start for Iowa, only giving up two HRs in the process. This trade has got some legs yet!
KB now with 0 RBI in his last 10 games and 1 in his last 15, despite having 19 hits in his last 15 games and raising his batting average from .278 to .286 over that span.
Maybe have Zobrist hit 2 and KB hit 4?
Also -- no HR in the last 15 games -- time for a bunch. Starting tomorrow.
Down a run. Fowler on first. Nobody out. KB singles to left, Fowler makes it to third, perfect throw from Cabrera nails KB trying to stretch for 2nd.
So, instead of 1st & 3rd and no out, you have 3rd with one out. It was a perfect throw, but why take the chance with 3-4-5 hitters coming up?
Must be a Cub thing - our lefties can;t get lefties out.
Splitting hairs, but Jake's pitch was poor execution, while KB's play was a poor decision (and the 2nd time he got thrown out trying to stretch in the game). Poor execution happens. Poor decisions are preventable. Speaking of poor decisions -- Baez's steal of 3rd made absolutely no sense.
Didn't Jake cost them the game with a pitch to Frazier?
Missed the play w/Bryant. What happened?
Not a good decision by Bryant in the 9th. That may have cost them the game.
Can we un-do the Montgomery deal? Please?
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Who is this Arrieta guy? Can I get the old one back please?
Well, this is, once again, the whole season for the Sox.
...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.
bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.
chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.
i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.
the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.