Cubs Play to Win (and Also to Tie) at Indian School Park
Starling Peralta threw three perfect innings and Wilson Contreras, Kevin Encarnacion, and Garrett Schlecht smacked run-scoring hits in a five-run 7th, as one squad of Cubs rallied from a 5-0 deficit to tie the Giants 5-5 on Field #1, while meanwhile three pitchers were combining to throw a two-hitter on Field #2 as the other squad of Cubs edged the Giants 2-1, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Javier Baez went 0-2, both towering fly balls to LF. One was dropped by the left-fielder for a two-base error, and Baez would come around to score later in the inning on a throwing error by the Giants first-baseman as Baez was taking 3rd base (after initially holding at 2nd) on a 5-3 GO.
RHP Su-Min Jung continues to struggle with "Steve Blass Disease," as he once again was unable to finish an inning. In his first two EXST appearances (1.1 IP), Jung has walked seven (51 pitches - only 17 strikes).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, F-7)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 4-6-3 DP, F-9)
3. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, 4-3)
4. Jair Bogaerts, DH #2: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, R)
5. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-2 (K, L-7, BB, R)
6a. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
6b. Luis Acosta, 2B: 0-0 (BB, R)
7a. Wilfredo Petit, C: LEFT GAME WITH SHOULDER INJURY PRIOR TO FIRST AB
7b. Wilson Contreras, C: 2-3 (1B, 1-6 FC, 2B, R, 2 RBI, 2 SB, PO)
8. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (1-3, 5-3, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, RBI)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, P-6)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Starling Peralta: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1 PO, 42 pitches (23 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Su-Min Jung: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 28 pitches (11 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 2:
1. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 1-3, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, L-9)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (F-7, E-7, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-2 (F-7, 5-3)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 3-U, R)
6. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-2 (F-8, 1-3)
9. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 1-2 (1B, K)
10. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
11a. Delbis Arcila, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (F-8)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 45 pitches (32 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (10 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Roderik Pichardo: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (13 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
1B Rock Shoulders – E-3 (missed catch on what should have been a 6-3 GO allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Wait...you're flip-flopping again?!
Is this legal? What is the rule here on opining definitively and then changing your mind?
I am not only surprised at your declaration, but Cutler's better 2015 showing. I don't get it - he went through Martz, Turner, Trestman, Kromer, and now Gase...and he is still here! And. he'll be here mext year too.
Happ signs w Jays
Morsi saying Price won't be a Jay
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus