Concepcion Goes Five But Giants Rally to Edge Cubs
Gerardo Concepcion threw five innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on six hits (all singles) and a walk with four strikeouts and two wild pitches, but the Giants rallied for three runs off two relievers and edged the Cubs 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park Field #1 in Scottsdale, AZ.
This was Concepcion’s third Extended Spring Training appearance. He threw 36 pitches in his first outing and 69 in his second, before upping his pitch count to 88 today. Over 11.1 IP at EXST, Concepcion has allowed seven runs (six earned) on 14 hits and four walks, with 11 strikeouts, three wild pitches, and a 10/12 GO/FO.
Concepcion is technically on the Daytona Cubs 7-day Disabled List, but he looks to be 100% healthy (as evidenced by his 88-pitch outing today).
On the offensive side of the ball, Trevor Gretzky reached base three times on two singles and a walk.
SS Javier Baez had a poor game all around, committing two errors (one fielding and one throwing) and striking out twice (both times swinging at slow curve balls). Baez appeared to be hyper-aggressive at the plate and in the field today.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 1-3, 6-3, RBI)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 2-4 (4-3, 4-3, 1B, 1B, SB, PO)
3a. Javier Baez, SS: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
3b. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (K)
4. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-3 (3-1, 6-3, BB, F-8, R)
5a. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (F-7, K, 1B, R)
5b. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (P-3, 1B)
6b. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-2 (K, K)
7a. Yaniel Cabezas, DH #2: 0-2 (F-9, K)
7b. Garrett Schlecht, PH-DH: 1-2 (1B+E7, K, R, RBI)
8. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 1-2 (1B, P-4, F-9 SF, R, RBI)
9. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB)
10. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
1. Gerardo Concepcion: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 88 pitches (57 strikes), 7/3 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 17 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Jose Arias: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (16 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
3. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (errant throw attempting to double runner off 2nd base after line-drive out allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 1-4 CS
Wilson Contreras: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.