Concepcion Goes Five But Giants Rally to Edge Cubs
Gerardo Concepcion threw five innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on six hits (all singles) and a walk with four strikeouts and two wild pitches, but the Giants rallied for three runs off two relievers and edged the Cubs 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park Field #1 in Scottsdale, AZ.
This was Concepcion’s third Extended Spring Training appearance. He threw 36 pitches in his first outing and 69 in his second, before upping his pitch count to 88 today. Over 11.1 IP at EXST, Concepcion has allowed seven runs (six earned) on 14 hits and four walks, with 11 strikeouts, three wild pitches, and a 10/12 GO/FO.
Concepcion is technically on the Daytona Cubs 7-day Disabled List, but he looks to be 100% healthy (as evidenced by his 88-pitch outing today).
On the offensive side of the ball, Trevor Gretzky reached base three times on two singles and a walk.
SS Javier Baez had a poor game all around, committing two errors (one fielding and one throwing) and striking out twice (both times swinging at slow curve balls). Baez appeared to be hyper-aggressive at the plate and in the field today.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 1-3, 6-3, RBI)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 2-4 (4-3, 4-3, 1B, 1B, SB, PO)
3a. Javier Baez, SS: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
3b. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (K)
4. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-3 (3-1, 6-3, BB, F-8, R)
5a. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (F-7, K, 1B, R)
5b. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (P-3, 1B)
6b. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-2 (K, K)
7a. Yaniel Cabezas, DH #2: 0-2 (F-9, K)
7b. Garrett Schlecht, PH-DH: 1-2 (1B+E7, K, R, RBI)
8. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 1-2 (1B, P-4, F-9 SF, R, RBI)
9. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB)
10. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
1. Gerardo Concepcion: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 88 pitches (57 strikes), 7/3 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 17 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Jose Arias: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (16 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
3. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (errant throw attempting to double runner off 2nd base after line-drive out allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 1-4 CS
Wilson Contreras: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.