Cubs Recap for April 19, 2012

Big nights with the bat for Anthony Rizzo and Nate Samson, but not a win in the organization.

@Marlins 5 - Cubs 3; A few brights spots in the game; the bullpen threw 4.1 innings of scoreless ball and they drew 3 walks off Nolasco. But Barney's bases clearing defense-assisted triple was the only big hit of the game and Samardzija was the Samardzija we all know and love. The one that can't throw strikes consistently walking 5 himself in 3.2 IP, while also giving up 8 hits.

@Albuquerque 4 (Dodgers) - Iowa 3; Travis Wood with the start and he gets 5 K's and just one walk in 6.1 IP, but also 9 H and 4 ER and gets hung with the loss. Offensively, it was Anthony Rizzo's world and we're just living in it. Two blasts, numbers 6 and 7 on the year, but it wasn't quite enough offense for Iowa. Dave Sappelt sums it up:

@SappySappelt6 Anthony Rizzo is a Monster this league is child's play for him

@Huntsville 9 (Brewers) - Tennessee 7; Not to be outdone by Rizzo, Nate Samson goes 4/4 with a walk, 2 doubles, a home run and 3 RBI's and it's also not enough to carry the Smokies to victory. Rhee got tagged for 5 runs in 5 IP, Berlind for 2 runs in 2 IP and Hatley for 2 runs in 1 IP. Ty Wright's been hot, a 2/5 night for him and a batting average of .444 on the season.

Tampa 5 (Yankees) - @Daytona 2; Nelson Perez with the only multi-hit game of the night including a home run. Greg Rohan doubled for the only other extra-base hit. Alcantara commits his 8th error of the season though which leads to 3 unearned runs in the first that Daytona can't overcome. Tomorrow they'll face the hoopla of an Andy Petitte start.

Great Lakes 11 (Dodgers) - @Peoria 4; Ben Wells gets tagged for 10 runs, 6 of which are earned in 4.1 IP (4 team errors on the night). Kyler Burke gives up a run in his 3.1 innings, but strikes out 4 and walks no one. Chen gets on-base twice via walk, as do Easterling and Taylor Davis via hit and a walk. Cuneo, Zapata, Darvill all have multi-hit games and Zapenas goes 2/2 plus two walks, but all that offense just produces just 4 runs.

Cubs are back at Wrigley tomorrow to start a 3-game set versus the Reds, whom until today were struggling on offense just as much as the Cubs. Volstad goes against Homer Bailey.

Comments

Scott Maine up, Wood to DL. Lineup in the twitter box.

I picked wood to do DL first. Is he first?

he is.

no one has gotten both of the first 2 correct. Charlie almost did as he had Kerry and Scott Maine, but Rodrigo Lopez was technically the first to be called up.

I'm trying to figure out why I said Wood be first to DL, yet Campana would be first called up.

Sigh...

I know BL! Yours is funnier than mine . . . But I picked Wood DL and Travis Wood up first. Wich made no sense on lots of levels. But you know what they say: "a wood for a wood", or something like that.

I'd love to see campana up and Byrd gone. If wishes were horses ...

What if wishes were horses? Really, what would happen?

watch where you step

Fucking Rodrigo Lopez, man. Looks like Cubster and I would be leading the pack if not for the "poor man's Maddux."

Oh well. I picked Maholm to lead the team in wins anyway. Can't blame that on Rodrigo Lopez. Only Michael Barrett will suffer for that. *Shakes fist at sky*

I picked Maholm too, boy do we look bad so far! (I figured if Garza was awesome he'd be gone, and Dempster would just get old).

I was picturing some kind of Glendon Rusch 2005 season for Maholm, and also that 10 or so wins might lead the team if Garza got traded.

I may have also overshot the team win guess with 79, and I don't know why I thought that Garza would not lead the team in wins but would still, somehow, overtake Castro for the WAR lead. Guess I forgot I was predicting a Garza trade when I got to that part.

However I DID NOT pick Maine as first up. Derrrr

Lopez was the first to be called up.

Dempster questionable for Sunday, getting MRI on quad. Wells could be called up to make start on Sunday.

Sweet! Just what this team needs!

Maybe he'll be better than Volstad or Maholm.

Maybe he'll be better than Volstad or Maholm.

Worse is possible?

Snap.

• I love winning! It's, like, better than losing?

• LOLLYGAGGERS!

Dusty Baylor 11 hours 25 min ago view
  • You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Jackstraw 14 hours 9 min ago view
  • Its too bad Warren didnt get to pitch. He would have saved us.

• Whoa -- that Contreras play in the 8th looked too much like a "Schwarber" -- nearly crashed into the wall going full speed, with Heyward doing the same.

New rule: if you are a catcher playing LF, and find yourself sprinting after a fly ball in the gap -- stop, let the CF go after it and get ready to play it off the wall.

• Cubs have no spark and no life. Pretty boring to watch these days.

• I thought trips to Miami were supposed to be fun. This one sucked.

The bottom half of the bullpen now turns close games into blowout losses. Not good.

Once Fowler went to the DL, the team went into the tank. Wonder if he'll get any love this offseason? Probably not.

• 6IP, 2ER. The last one scored because of another botched Zobrist DP turn.

And now, a bad throw by KB. Sloppy.

• What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?

• Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...

• I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."

• OK, boys -- find a way to win today.

• There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 21 hours 57 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 22 hours 6 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

• Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.