Cubs Recap for April 19, 2012

Big nights with the bat for Anthony Rizzo and Nate Samson, but not a win in the organization.

@Marlins 5 - Cubs 3; A few brights spots in the game; the bullpen threw 4.1 innings of scoreless ball and they drew 3 walks off Nolasco. But Barney's bases clearing defense-assisted triple was the only big hit of the game and Samardzija was the Samardzija we all know and love. The one that can't throw strikes consistently walking 5 himself in 3.2 IP, while also giving up 8 hits.

@Albuquerque 4 (Dodgers) - Iowa 3; Travis Wood with the start and he gets 5 K's and just one walk in 6.1 IP, but also 9 H and 4 ER and gets hung with the loss. Offensively, it was Anthony Rizzo's world and we're just living in it. Two blasts, numbers 6 and 7 on the year, but it wasn't quite enough offense for Iowa. Dave Sappelt sums it up:

@SappySappelt6 Anthony Rizzo is a Monster this league is child's play for him

@Huntsville 9 (Brewers) - Tennessee 7; Not to be outdone by Rizzo, Nate Samson goes 4/4 with a walk, 2 doubles, a home run and 3 RBI's and it's also not enough to carry the Smokies to victory. Rhee got tagged for 5 runs in 5 IP, Berlind for 2 runs in 2 IP and Hatley for 2 runs in 1 IP. Ty Wright's been hot, a 2/5 night for him and a batting average of .444 on the season.

Tampa 5 (Yankees) - @Daytona 2; Nelson Perez with the only multi-hit game of the night including a home run. Greg Rohan doubled for the only other extra-base hit. Alcantara commits his 8th error of the season though which leads to 3 unearned runs in the first that Daytona can't overcome. Tomorrow they'll face the hoopla of an Andy Petitte start.

Great Lakes 11 (Dodgers) - @Peoria 4; Ben Wells gets tagged for 10 runs, 6 of which are earned in 4.1 IP (4 team errors on the night). Kyler Burke gives up a run in his 3.1 innings, but strikes out 4 and walks no one. Chen gets on-base twice via walk, as do Easterling and Taylor Davis via hit and a walk. Cuneo, Zapata, Darvill all have multi-hit games and Zapenas goes 2/2 plus two walks, but all that offense just produces just 4 runs.

Cubs are back at Wrigley tomorrow to start a 3-game set versus the Reds, whom until today were struggling on offense just as much as the Cubs. Volstad goes against Homer Bailey.

Comments

Scott Maine up, Wood to DL. Lineup in the twitter box.

I picked wood to do DL first. Is he first?

he is.

no one has gotten both of the first 2 correct. Charlie almost did as he had Kerry and Scott Maine, but Rodrigo Lopez was technically the first to be called up.

I'm trying to figure out why I said Wood be first to DL, yet Campana would be first called up.

Sigh...

I know BL! Yours is funnier than mine . . . But I picked Wood DL and Travis Wood up first. Wich made no sense on lots of levels. But you know what they say: "a wood for a wood", or something like that.

I'd love to see campana up and Byrd gone. If wishes were horses ...

What if wishes were horses? Really, what would happen?

watch where you step

Fucking Rodrigo Lopez, man. Looks like Cubster and I would be leading the pack if not for the "poor man's Maddux."

Oh well. I picked Maholm to lead the team in wins anyway. Can't blame that on Rodrigo Lopez. Only Michael Barrett will suffer for that. *Shakes fist at sky*

I picked Maholm too, boy do we look bad so far! (I figured if Garza was awesome he'd be gone, and Dempster would just get old).

I was picturing some kind of Glendon Rusch 2005 season for Maholm, and also that 10 or so wins might lead the team if Garza got traded.

I may have also overshot the team win guess with 79, and I don't know why I thought that Garza would not lead the team in wins but would still, somehow, overtake Castro for the WAR lead. Guess I forgot I was predicting a Garza trade when I got to that part.

However I DID NOT pick Maine as first up. Derrrr

Lopez was the first to be called up.

Dempster questionable for Sunday, getting MRI on quad. Wells could be called up to make start on Sunday.

Sweet! Just what this team needs!

Maybe he'll be better than Volstad or Maholm.

Maybe he'll be better than Volstad or Maholm.

Worse is possible?

Snap.

• Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.

Gonzalez and Morrison also honored.

VirginiaPhil 5 hours 16 min ago view
  • QuietMan 15 hours 28 min ago view
  • FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.

JoePepitone 18 hours 2 min ago view
  • Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Jackstraw 18 hours 13 min ago view
  • White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo

jacos 18 hours 55 min ago view
  • it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."

i chose the classy route.

• Rob G. 19 hours 7 min ago view
  • that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign

• ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ good shit goเฑฆิ sHit๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some good๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œshit right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ rightโœ”there โœ”โœ”if i do ฦฝaาฏ so my self ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: สณแถฆแตสฐแต— แต—สฐแต‰สณแต‰) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ euphoric logic !euphoric loGic๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some euphoric๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ป logic right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ปthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ Carl ๐Ÿ”ญ Sagan๐ŸŒŒ๐Ÿ’ซif i do ฦฝaาฏ so gentlemen ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats euPhoric logic right there Richard ๐Ÿ“’ Dawkins๐ŸŽฉ (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘“๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œeuphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ john cena JOhN cEna

• You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.

• my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.

• Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?

• Taboola field is more appropriate.

• we can only hope...

The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.

• I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.

Brick 23 hours 32 min ago view
  • unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....

@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.