Cubs Rally to Avoid Double-Dip Sweep at Fitch Park
Neftali Rosario had three hits including a solo home run and a game-tying RBI single in the bottom of the 7th, as one squad of Cubs and one squad of Diamondbacks played to a 3-3 tie on Field #2, and Wilson Contreras singled, doubled, and tripled, scored a run, and drove-in another, but the other squad of D’backs clubbed Frank del Valle for six runs on nine hits en route to a 6-4 victory on Field #3, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 6-3, 6-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, 3-1, 6-3)
3a. Dan Vogelbach, 1B-DH: 0-2 (F-9, 4-3)
3b. Luis Acosta, PH: 0-1 (K)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (BB, K, 1-3)
5. Trevor Gretzky, DH-1B: 2-3 (6-4-3 DP, 1B, 2B, R)
6. Brian Inoa, DH #2: 0-3 (K+WP, 3-U, L-8, R)
7. Neftali Rosario, C: 3-3 (1B, HR, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Jair Bogaerts, LF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, CF: 0-3 (K, K, 6-4-3 DP)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. David Henrie: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (30 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO)
2. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 28 pitches (19 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 39 pitches (23 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 3:
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Gioskar Amaya, DH-2B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, RBI)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-3 (6-3, K, P-2)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, K, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF-DH: 2-3 (K, 2B, 2B)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, K, 2 R)
8. Wilson Contreras, C: 3-3 (2B, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #2: 0-2 (K, BB, P-4, SB)
10a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 0-0 (BB, R)
10b. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-0 (BB)
11. Yaniel Cabezas, DH #3: 0-2 (3-1, 6-3 DP)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Rob Whitenack: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (14 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
2. Frank del Valle: 3.1 IP, 9 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 1 PO, 74 pitches (46 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
NOTE: Del Valle’s final inning was stopped with one out when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (14 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 2
1. P Rob Whitenack – E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (overthrow at 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-4 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD “B” OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Xavier Batista threw out baserunner 9-2 trying to score from 2nd base on line-drive single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
"Cubs manager Joe Maddon said Friday that Anthony Rizzo (back) is feeling better and it's "possible" the first baseman could return to the lineup Saturday."
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?
Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd
J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora
The Cubs are currently down Schwarber, Fowler, Soler, and Rizzo and Montero appear to be day-to-day. Maybe not surprising that they are struggling a bit as they rely more than expected on Baez, Russell, Almora, Contreras, and Szczur to provide offensive value.
Joe: "I loved the way we brought it today, man. We'll take this every night and win a lot of ballgames like that. Losing 4 in a row...that's nothin'."
9 runs in 4 games. Zobrist slumping. Russell having a tough time. Almora not a contact guy. They miss Fowler big time.
Bring the A-Team back.
4 losses in a row for the 1st time this season.
RIP 2016 cubs.
i'll never forget clayton richard throwing that 1 inning that didn't suck.
see you guys next season.
Yeesh. Shut down innings a thing of the past for the Cubbies
Not the best of nights for Russell - should of nailed Stanton at second on Ross's throw but mishandles it ... so of course Stanton comes around and scores as well
Guys, I've decided to focus on the first awesome two and a half months instead of this disastrous end to the season. Remember Arrieta's no-no, Contreras's first-ever-pitch HR, all the amazing defensive gems by Baez?
We'll get 'em next year!
David Fuckin Ross!!!
That Baez almost-out defensive play was bonkers.
2- if miami was a team with decent runners i'd be more scared...or if they get guys on 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs
3- yes...he could use a roid re-up
wow...miami's running game is even weaker than i thought. stolen bases is a lazy way to gauge running quality, but tonight's lineup has 7 SBs on the year and it's only 2 guys. they have 19 total SB and 6 of those are d.gordon...and 6 are ichiro. only 4 guys on the roster all season have successfully stolen a base and 1 is suspended.
1) If Cubs are going to play a catcher at 1B, why not just gear him up and call it second home plate and see if they can trick Lester into throwing there every now and again.
2) Between Lester on the mound, and a catcher at 1B, bunting might be lucrative for the Marlins.
3) Barry Bonds looks deflated. I mean physically.
Smokies lineup sure could use the help. Promotions of Candalario and Zagunis to Iowa crippled the offense - McKinney's continued power outage not helping things.