Cubs Recap for April 19, 2012

Big nights with the bat for Anthony Rizzo and Nate Samson, but not a win in the organization.

@Marlins 5 - Cubs 3; A few brights spots in the game; the bullpen threw 4.1 innings of scoreless ball and they drew 3 walks off Nolasco. But Barney's bases clearing defense-assisted triple was the only big hit of the game and Samardzija was the Samardzija we all know and love. The one that can't throw strikes consistently walking 5 himself in 3.2 IP, while also giving up 8 hits.

@Albuquerque 4 (Dodgers) - Iowa 3; Travis Wood with the start and he gets 5 K's and just one walk in 6.1 IP, but also 9 H and 4 ER and gets hung with the loss. Offensively, it was Anthony Rizzo's world and we're just living in it. Two blasts, numbers 6 and 7 on the year, but it wasn't quite enough offense for Iowa. Dave Sappelt sums it up:

@SappySappelt6 Anthony Rizzo is a Monster this league is child's play for him

@Huntsville 9 (Brewers) - Tennessee 7; Not to be outdone by Rizzo, Nate Samson goes 4/4 with a walk, 2 doubles, a home run and 3 RBI's and it's also not enough to carry the Smokies to victory. Rhee got tagged for 5 runs in 5 IP, Berlind for 2 runs in 2 IP and Hatley for 2 runs in 1 IP. Ty Wright's been hot, a 2/5 night for him and a batting average of .444 on the season.

Tampa 5 (Yankees) - @Daytona 2; Nelson Perez with the only multi-hit game of the night including a home run. Greg Rohan doubled for the only other extra-base hit. Alcantara commits his 8th error of the season though which leads to 3 unearned runs in the first that Daytona can't overcome. Tomorrow they'll face the hoopla of an Andy Petitte start.

Great Lakes 11 (Dodgers) - @Peoria 4; Ben Wells gets tagged for 10 runs, 6 of which are earned in 4.1 IP (4 team errors on the night). Kyler Burke gives up a run in his 3.1 innings, but strikes out 4 and walks no one. Chen gets on-base twice via walk, as do Easterling and Taylor Davis via hit and a walk. Cuneo, Zapata, Darvill all have multi-hit games and Zapenas goes 2/2 plus two walks, but all that offense just produces just 4 runs.

Cubs are back at Wrigley tomorrow to start a 3-game set versus the Reds, whom until today were struggling on offense just as much as the Cubs. Volstad goes against Homer Bailey.

Comments

Scott Maine up, Wood to DL. Lineup in the twitter box.

I picked wood to do DL first. Is he first?

he is.

no one has gotten both of the first 2 correct. Charlie almost did as he had Kerry and Scott Maine, but Rodrigo Lopez was technically the first to be called up.

I'm trying to figure out why I said Wood be first to DL, yet Campana would be first called up.

Sigh...

I know BL! Yours is funnier than mine . . . But I picked Wood DL and Travis Wood up first. Wich made no sense on lots of levels. But you know what they say: "a wood for a wood", or something like that.

I'd love to see campana up and Byrd gone. If wishes were horses ...

What if wishes were horses? Really, what would happen?

watch where you step

Fucking Rodrigo Lopez, man. Looks like Cubster and I would be leading the pack if not for the "poor man's Maddux."

Oh well. I picked Maholm to lead the team in wins anyway. Can't blame that on Rodrigo Lopez. Only Michael Barrett will suffer for that. *Shakes fist at sky*

I picked Maholm too, boy do we look bad so far! (I figured if Garza was awesome he'd be gone, and Dempster would just get old).

I was picturing some kind of Glendon Rusch 2005 season for Maholm, and also that 10 or so wins might lead the team if Garza got traded.

I may have also overshot the team win guess with 79, and I don't know why I thought that Garza would not lead the team in wins but would still, somehow, overtake Castro for the WAR lead. Guess I forgot I was predicting a Garza trade when I got to that part.

However I DID NOT pick Maine as first up. Derrrr

Lopez was the first to be called up.

Dempster questionable for Sunday, getting MRI on quad. Wells could be called up to make start on Sunday.

Sweet! Just what this team needs!

Maybe he'll be better than Volstad or Maholm.

Maybe he'll be better than Volstad or Maholm.

Worse is possible?

Snap.

• Good work!

John Beasley 1 hour 1 min ago view
  • crunch 7 hours 39 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 7 hours 39 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 8 hours 12 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 8 hours 36 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 18 hours 44 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 18 hours 54 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

crunch 19 hours 13 sec ago view
  • I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk