Cubs Rally to Avoid Double-Dip Sweep at Fitch Park
Neftali Rosario had three hits including a solo home run and a game-tying RBI single in the bottom of the 7th, as one squad of Cubs and one squad of Diamondbacks played to a 3-3 tie on Field #2, and Wilson Contreras singled, doubled, and tripled, scored a run, and drove-in another, but the other squad of D’backs clubbed Frank del Valle for six runs on nine hits en route to a 6-4 victory on Field #3, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 6-3, 6-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, 3-1, 6-3)
3a. Dan Vogelbach, 1B-DH: 0-2 (F-9, 4-3)
3b. Luis Acosta, PH: 0-1 (K)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (BB, K, 1-3)
5. Trevor Gretzky, DH-1B: 2-3 (6-4-3 DP, 1B, 2B, R)
6. Brian Inoa, DH #2: 0-3 (K+WP, 3-U, L-8, R)
7. Neftali Rosario, C: 3-3 (1B, HR, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Jair Bogaerts, LF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, CF: 0-3 (K, K, 6-4-3 DP)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. David Henrie: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (30 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO)
2. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 28 pitches (19 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 39 pitches (23 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 3:
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Gioskar Amaya, DH-2B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, RBI)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-3 (6-3, K, P-2)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, K, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF-DH: 2-3 (K, 2B, 2B)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, K, 2 R)
8. Wilson Contreras, C: 3-3 (2B, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #2: 0-2 (K, BB, P-4, SB)
10a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 0-0 (BB, R)
10b. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-0 (BB)
11. Yaniel Cabezas, DH #3: 0-2 (3-1, 6-3 DP)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Rob Whitenack: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (14 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
2. Frank del Valle: 3.1 IP, 9 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 1 PO, 74 pitches (46 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
NOTE: Del Valle’s final inning was stopped with one out when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (14 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 2
1. P Rob Whitenack – E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (overthrow at 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-4 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD “B” OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Xavier Batista threw out baserunner 9-2 trying to score from 2nd base on line-drive single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Rick Renteria was a great idea! Seriously! I feel bad for the guy, although it happened the way it had to.
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.
They should have someone standing behind him to take the ball out of his glove when he's looking for a sign from the catcher, and throw to first. I vote for Baez. That way he can cover the rest of the infield, too.