Cubs Rally to Avoid Double-Dip Sweep at Fitch Park
Neftali Rosario had three hits including a solo home run and a game-tying RBI single in the bottom of the 7th, as one squad of Cubs and one squad of Diamondbacks played to a 3-3 tie on Field #2, and Wilson Contreras singled, doubled, and tripled, scored a run, and drove-in another, but the other squad of D’backs clubbed Frank del Valle for six runs on nine hits en route to a 6-4 victory on Field #3, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 6-3, 6-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, 3-1, 6-3)
3a. Dan Vogelbach, 1B-DH: 0-2 (F-9, 4-3)
3b. Luis Acosta, PH: 0-1 (K)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (BB, K, 1-3)
5. Trevor Gretzky, DH-1B: 2-3 (6-4-3 DP, 1B, 2B, R)
6. Brian Inoa, DH #2: 0-3 (K+WP, 3-U, L-8, R)
7. Neftali Rosario, C: 3-3 (1B, HR, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Jair Bogaerts, LF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, CF: 0-3 (K, K, 6-4-3 DP)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. David Henrie: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (30 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO)
2. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 28 pitches (19 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 39 pitches (23 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 3:
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Gioskar Amaya, DH-2B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, RBI)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-3 (6-3, K, P-2)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, K, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF-DH: 2-3 (K, 2B, 2B)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, K, 2 R)
8. Wilson Contreras, C: 3-3 (2B, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #2: 0-2 (K, BB, P-4, SB)
10a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 0-0 (BB, R)
10b. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-0 (BB)
11. Yaniel Cabezas, DH #3: 0-2 (3-1, 6-3 DP)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Rob Whitenack: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (14 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
2. Frank del Valle: 3.1 IP, 9 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 1 PO, 74 pitches (46 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
NOTE: Del Valle’s final inning was stopped with one out when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (14 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 2
1. P Rob Whitenack – E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (overthrow at 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-4 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD “B” OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Xavier Batista threw out baserunner 9-2 trying to score from 2nd base on line-drive single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Because they released him, the Cubs are paying most of Richard's 2016 salary (the Cubs are on the hooks for $2M, minus the pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum salary that is paid by the Padres).
it is honestly awesome (for real) that anyone would even have a strong opinion on AZL playoffs. i guess if you invest enough time watching it, you want to see a fair/just playoff structure.
plus, the kids deserve it.
That's because of the ridiculous "split season" schedule most of the minor leagues now play, a stupid system that rewards mediocrity at the expense of the worthy.
"i'm gonna make you my main squeeze one day, bro. save the date."
This level of discourse is #charming.
Have a nice day.
what would you do without me? aside from having your posting content here cut by 75%+?
i'm gonna make you my main squeeze one day, bro. save the date.
In this instance, yes, I care more about the result of this big thing that isn't really a big thing.
some people want to check the boxscore to see who won, some want to know how it went down.
if jeff says it, it's cool...when i say it, it's straight from the mouth of hitler.
That would be Rice Krispy Treat
Butterfinger or Baby Ruth?
That question came from CRUNCH's cousin.