Cubs Rally to Avoid Double-Dip Sweep at Fitch Park
Neftali Rosario had three hits including a solo home run and a game-tying RBI single in the bottom of the 7th, as one squad of Cubs and one squad of Diamondbacks played to a 3-3 tie on Field #2, and Wilson Contreras singled, doubled, and tripled, scored a run, and drove-in another, but the other squad of D’backs clubbed Frank del Valle for six runs on nine hits en route to a 6-4 victory on Field #3, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 6-3, 6-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, 3-1, 6-3)
3a. Dan Vogelbach, 1B-DH: 0-2 (F-9, 4-3)
3b. Luis Acosta, PH: 0-1 (K)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (BB, K, 1-3)
5. Trevor Gretzky, DH-1B: 2-3 (6-4-3 DP, 1B, 2B, R)
6. Brian Inoa, DH #2: 0-3 (K+WP, 3-U, L-8, R)
7. Neftali Rosario, C: 3-3 (1B, HR, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Jair Bogaerts, LF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, CF: 0-3 (K, K, 6-4-3 DP)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. David Henrie: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (30 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO)
2. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 28 pitches (19 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 39 pitches (23 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 3:
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Gioskar Amaya, DH-2B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, RBI)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-3 (6-3, K, P-2)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, K, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF-DH: 2-3 (K, 2B, 2B)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, K, 2 R)
8. Wilson Contreras, C: 3-3 (2B, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #2: 0-2 (K, BB, P-4, SB)
10a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 0-0 (BB, R)
10b. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-0 (BB)
11. Yaniel Cabezas, DH #3: 0-2 (3-1, 6-3 DP)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Rob Whitenack: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (14 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
2. Frank del Valle: 3.1 IP, 9 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 1 PO, 74 pitches (46 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
NOTE: Del Valle’s final inning was stopped with one out when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
3. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (14 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 2
1. P Rob Whitenack – E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (overthrow at 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-4 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD “B” OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Xavier Batista threw out baserunner 9-2 trying to score from 2nd base on line-drive single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
@BruceMiles2112: #Cubs Saturday: Fowler CF, Jackson RF, Bryant LF, Rizzo 1B, Baez 3B, Castro 2B, Ross C, Arrieta P, Russell SS
You are so right. He, Rosenbloom, and you can't forget Rick Bayless' brother.
What a bunch of negative boob journalists. As "columnists" their job is to write their opinions.
But, I stopped listening and reading their trash long ago.
Awesome. If WAS went 22-6 the rest of the way, AND somehow managed to not pass the Mets doing it, the Cubs only need to go 16-13 to get the 2nd Wild Card.
And on the 6th day, He pitches again.
Who else would be appropriate to pitch the day after Godly?
Oh my Lord, Bernie Lincicome is back? He was sport print journalism's first real troll that I remember, long before Rosenbloom started wasting space with his columns.
The more I read about Arrieta, the more I suspect he is not going to be satisfied with a no hitter unless it is followed by another.
SF loses their 7th in a row (ow).
WAS is now #1 on the heels of the cubs at 7.5 games back.
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam